cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Enable and use anonymous download

Hi, I'm trying to enable anonymous ftp download access.

I think the username should be anonymous@<mysite.com>  and the password is anonymous.

But when I connect to it, I get a 530 error.

It's possible that I haven't enabled it yet - but I can't work out how to. I'm using CPanel.

FTP access with the site username is working fine.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Rockstar II Rockstar II
Rockstar II

Re: Enable and use anonymous download

I don't see having a username and password as anonymous @munich? I also don't really understand why you would need to provide uncontrolled access to your hosting? Check out How do I set up anonymous FTP in Simple Control Panel? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't help. Connecting to Simple Panel doesn't work for me (I don't think I have a dedicated server), so I can't set up the FTP permissions that way.

I'm trying to allow users to connect to my public_ftp folder to download files. I do not want to give them access to the rest of the site. I also don't need to enable uploads. I just can't see how to enable the downaloads.

Thanks - any help much appreciated.

Rockstar II Rockstar II
Rockstar II

Okay, so you have cPanel?

To set Anonymous FTP access:
1. Click on the Ftp Manager button on the home page.
2. Click on the Anonymous FTP Controls link.
3. Click on the Allow anonymous access to ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com tick box or the Allow anonymous upload to ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com/incoming tick box. You must click on both tick boxes to enable uploads.
4. Click on the Save Settings button.

Does that help?
...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

rd, thanks for your reply. Your instructions look easy to follow - except for the fact that I don't have an Ftp Manager button on the Home Page. Options on the Home Page include FTP connections and FTP Accounts - but neither of these have the next options you mention.

Where is my Ftp Manager button?

Cheers!