Manage DNS records
How and where you add, edit or delete your DNS records depends on where your DNS is hosted. This is determined by where your nameservers are pointing. There are three possible options for where you'll manage your DNS:
- Your domain is registered with GoDaddy and is using our nameservers: you'll manage DNS settings in your GoDaddy account.
- Your domain is not registered with GoDaddy, but is using our nameservers: you'll manage DNS settings in your GoDaddy account. This is usually the case if you're hosting a website with us, or using DNS Hosting.
- Your domain is registered with any company, but is not using our nameservers: you won't manage DNS with us at all. You'll need to work with your DNS and/or website hosting company instead.
If your DNS is with us, you can add, edit or delete DNS records in your account.
- A record: The primary DNS record used to connect your domain to an IP address that directs visitors to your website. Add / Edit / Delete
- Subdomain: Any DNS record that's on a prefix of your domain name such as blog.coolexample.com. A subdomain can be created using an A record that points to the IP address (the most common), a CNAME that points to a URL, or even an MX record. Add / Edit / Delete
- CNAME: A type of record that also adds a prefix to your domain name and is sometimes referred to as a type of subdomain. A CNAME can't point to an IP address. It can only point to another domain name or URL address. For example, you can create a CNAME for store.coolexample.com that points to a different URL, such as a store built with Shopify. Add / Edit / Delete
- MX record: Manages your email address and makes sure your email messages get to your inbox. Different email services use different MX records, and email with GoDaddy is automatically set up for you. Add / Edit / Delete
- TXT record: Allows you to verify domain ownership and setup email sender policies. Add / Edit / Delete
- SPF record: A type of TXT record that lets you set up email sender policies. This is an advanced type of DNS record. Add / Edit / Delete
- NS record: Contains information about your nameservers. Use these records to identify which nameservers you should use if your domain is not registered with GoDaddy, but you want to manage your DNS with us. This is an advanced custom DNS record. Add / Edit / Delete
- Get more advanced DNS options with our Premium DNS option.
- Need to quickly send your domain to a different website? Set up domain forwarding to get your visitors to the right place.