New research released by GoDaddy and the Centre for Economics and Business Research (Cebr), reveals that side hustling is a growing trend in the UK.
The number of side hustlers - individuals who run their own business on top of their day job - has risen by 32% in the last decade.
The report, ‘Side Hustle: A Way of Life, Not Work’, casts a light on surprising details about the side hustling population in the UK, including that 44% of side hustlers are parents with at least one child under 19 living at home.
Irana Wasti, SVP & Head of GoDaddy EMEA, said: “Side hustlers are here to stay – these people all have their own ideas, their own motivations and are pursuing the passions they love.”
“They have an irrepressible scratch that needs itching. People who pursue their business passions on top of their 9-5 often bring a unique perspective to the office and can challenge us to be more creative and entrepreneurial.”
The side hustling trend has allowed people to pursue their passions on top of their 9-5 work, with almost half of side hustlers (48%) spending less than five hours a week on their side hustle.
According to Cebr research, these entrepreneurial Brits have boosted the UK economy by £14.4 billion to the UK, with every 1000 side hustles creating an extra 876 jobs. In 2016, 600,000 jobs were supported by the side hustling movement in the UK.
Side hustle: a way of life, not work
Side Hustle report press pack download
Your ‘Side Hustle: A Way of Life, Not Work’ pack includes:
- The Report: Digital version of the report
- The Press Release: Report overview, statistics and an introduction to some of our super side hustlers
- The Infographic: A visual presentation of the report
- The Visuals: Raw photos of our side hustlers and some sweet designed statistic images ready for your usage
- The Brand: Logos and stuff like that
- The Video: Play me, you know you want to