cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derekuda
Novice

Bid, won and paid for Domain, invested on design, then winning bid was not honored

Horrible experience. I  bid on a domain that expired, won the auction after a fierce bidding war, paid for it (substantial amount) paid the auction fee and have emails showing that it was won and purchased by me through Godaddy auction site.

Then, I invested and paid $1800 for a designer and developer to start working on the domain site and branding days after after I won and paid for the auction.  I had won the auction fairly and had several days after paying for the domain to start the process. 

Suddenly Tucows ( a partner of GoDaddy) decided to forfeit on the binding bid. They cancelled the transaction and nullified my binding win for the expired domain and added it back to their investment list. I have never heard of an acution being reversed. A winning bid is a winning bid. Otherwise, what is the point?

The domain which I won in a fair and ethical way is now owned by Tucows again and I lost $1800 for work on a project that was stolen back for financial gain by Tucows 

I LOST TIME and MONEY, so I am clearly pissed and think that what happened is unethical. 

Lesson: Godaddy auction wins are not guaranteed. So the trust factor is damaged.

Do not invest time and money on a URL without having the domain actually live in your list of purchases.

1 REPLY
GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor
GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor

Re: Bid, won and paid for Domain, invested on design, then winning bid was not honored

@Derekuda wrote:

Horrible experience. I  bid on a domain that expired, won the auction after a fierce bidding war, paid for it (substantial amount) paid the auction fee and have emails showing that it was won and purchased by me through Godaddy auction site.

Then, I invested and paid $1800 for a designer and developer to start working on the domain site and branding days after after I won and paid for the auction.  I had won the auction fairly and had several days after paying for the domain to start the process. 

Suddenly Tucows ( a partner of GoDaddy) decided to forfeit on the binding bid. They cancelled the transaction and nullified my binding win for the expired domain and added it back to their investment list. I have never heard of an acution being reversed. A winning bid is a winning bid. Otherwise, what is the point?

The domain which I won in a fair and ethical way is now owned by Tucows again and I lost $1800 for work on a project that was stolen back for financial gain by Tucows 

I LOST TIME and MONEY, so I am clearly pissed and think that what happened is unethical. 

Lesson: Godaddy auction wins are not guaranteed. So the trust factor is damaged.

Do not invest time and money on a URL without having the domain actually live in your list of purchases.

@Derekuda This used to be the case with all domains on the Godaddy platform although they recently changed it so that the owner of the domain name cannot renew the domain after the auction has ended. The only loophole now is that the 3rd party registrars that list their expired domains on Godaddy are still able to renew the domain. I bid/buy a lot of domains on Godaddy so I never start any work on a site or invest money into it until I have the domain, nothing is certain until its in your account.

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I