cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GD blocks registrant data from showing in others' WHOIS!!!

I found 2 sites WhoIS without the annoying Captcha. I wasted so much time looking up various domains, even some of my own. Long-story-short, if you look up your GD held domains or someone else's (who does not have privacy set as they want to be contacted), GD blocks your info from showing in other sites' WhoIs!!! It looks like you have privacy set & this isn't right. Makes me want to give them less business....

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: GD blocks registrant data from showing in others' WHOIS!!!

Hi @kryptic. We do mask some WHOIS information when listings are pulled in bulk (via port 43). however, we do have a way for service providers to request unmasked bulk results, but they need to contact us directly. It may be that the sites you used have not followed this process yet. For more information, please see this article

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I get wanting to decrease spam, but the problem is that some people who don't pay for privacy WANT to be contacted. Since GD blocks our info, we can't be contacted + the people using these other WhoIs don't know that the info is blocked. They think we have privacy set, hence we aren't contacted. That's a problem when one WANTS to be contacted. (The phone # {tactical} & email, umm, I use are given with spam in mind. I do certain things to make my spam not as annoying, like sorting spam folder by address.)

Super User III
Super User III

@kryptic 

In this instance it's one of those "The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few" scenarios. GoDaddy receives a lot more complaints about the spam than not. 

Good news, though! Proper SEO technique can more than make up for this small lack of visibility. Truthfully, you probably don't want a whole lot of the traffic and visibility you'd get from people that pull bulk records like that. You want quality traffic to come to your site or business. GoDaddy actually has several products and services to help with SEO. You should check them out. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community