cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tina_13
New

Wildcard conflicts to specific subdomain

Hi,

I've a domain set pointing to an IP, I also set wildcard for all sub domains point to the same that IP.

I have other specific domain help.mydomain.com, I set CNAME for this sub point to another place but it still points to mydomain.com. There is any way to do that?

Here is my detail DNS configuration:

A record

@ -> IP.x.x.x

CNAME

* -> @

help.mydomain.com -> other.hosting

Thanks too much.

5 REPLIES 5
GaryA

Hi @Tina_13.

I suggest setting the wildcard as an A Record. This would eliminate any potential CNAME conflicts.

I'd set it so it looks like this:

A record

@ -> IP.x.x.x

* -> IP.x.x.x

CNAME

help.mydomain.com -> other.hosting

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Thanks for your response. Yeh, I set it but it does not work also 😞

Could be a DNS Propagation issue. It can take up to 48 hours to propagate the DNS changes. I would recommend using NSLOOKUP to see if the Nameserver is providing the correct IP.

nslookup <nameserver for your domain>

nslookup help.yourdomain.com <IP of your nameserver> 

if your nameserver is providing the correct IP for the other hosting company then you will need t owait for propagation to complete.

My Nameservers are hosted with Cloudflare and should work if using Godaddy Nameservers.

I have an A record setup as follows

Type            Name                     Value

A                 *(Wildcard)              Godaddy IP

This allows any subdomain to point back to my server and then I can set other Subdomains to point to other IP's and this works without conflict.

The problem is that our websites hosted in the same IP (we are using wpengine to hosting)

@ -> IP.x.x.x

* -> IP.x.x.x

CNAME

help.mydomain.com -> cname.hosting (but this cname has the same IP above, different folder)

help.mydomain.com is still redirected to mydomain.com

The issue is with wpengine if Both are pointing to the same IP. 

I would recommend setting up an A record for help.mydomain.com and point it to the IP for wpengine hosting.

On the wpengine hosting side you will need to configure the subdomain to point to the folder for the second site.

I use Apache for my site on godaddy cloud server. when setting up a new subdomain I need to configure apache to point the subdomain to the correct folder. If not configured then apache sends the request to the main configured site.

Ex.

http://randome.oslinux.xyz does not exist in DNS or apache config.

http://oslinux.xyz points to my cloud sever and apache is configured for that site.

Both pages goes to the same site and same folder due to lack of configuration.

For your site you will need an A Record pointing to your hosting IP and have your hosting configured to point request to help.mydomain.com to the folder setup for that subdomain.