cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to fix my italics button that isn't working on our WordPress site?

HI,  so the Italics button isn't working on our wordpress site. It was used on old posts and now doesn't seem to be holding on old or new posts. it puts the HTML script (I am not sure I am using the right language) IE- <em> on the beginning and end of the phrases we are italicizing, but it doesn't actually italicize them when the post is up for public to see

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if wordpress is having a meltdown. Can someone help?

29 REPLIES 29
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Italics

@PonyClub,

What browser and version are you using?

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

@JHasselbring Using Google Chrome and the latest version- 4.7.3? I just checked and there weren't any updates... 

its version 4.7.3

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@PonyClub

That can't be right... I'm on version 56.0.2924.87

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because em is a relatively new tag... Check this out

http://caniuse.com/#search=emphasis-style

But the thing is, HTML tags typically fall back gracefully.  Are you using a plugin editor?

Also, do you see this as italics?

@JHasselbring

Oh, my, we just went way over my head

I guess what I posted is the version of the theme we are using on wordpress? Maybe?

I don't really understand the link

Yes, I could see what you typed in italics

I just tried to add a screenshot of what I am seeing and it doesn't want to load. 

the italics button on the top of our posts puts in the <em> on the beginning and end of the phrase we want it to go on. When I think click "publish" the phrase shows, but not italicized. It used to, I don't know what changed. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@PonyClub,

Did you change anything regarding themes? Plugins?  javascript

@JHasselbring

Nope, using the same theme and plugins as we always have. The only recent (which was about 3 months ago or less) was that we switched to GoDaddy to host our site. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@PonyClub,

Hmmmm... in that case, I have no clue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PonyClub,

• for a font to be displayed, it needs to be also on the device viewing it. 
  • Try a different font. 
  • So uncommon fonts will be more troublesome. 
  • Make sure the font is available in italics. Some are not and this may be a surprise to most folk. 
  • The <em> tag is for emphasise, and oblique text rather than italicised. 
  • If you can use the <I> tags for italics. 
  • You can also use <b> tags for bold or simply place the emphasis within single quotes or a different color. 
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@Anonymous</a>,

@rammsteinium wrote:

Hi @PonyClub,

• for a font to be displayed, it needs to be also on the device viewing it. 
  • Try a different font. 
  • So uncommon fonts will be more troublesome. 
  • Make sure the font is available in italics. Some are not and this may be a surprise to most folk. 
  • The <em> tag is for emphasise, and oblique text rather than italicised. 
  • If you can use the <I> tags for italics. 
  • You can also use <b> tags for bold or simply place the emphasis within single quotes or a different color. 

Yeah but for some reason, this forum and some WP uses em for italics... try making your fonts italics on Ritch text then switch to HTML

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

@PonyClubI wanted to add that <em> defaults to italics but CSS can override the styling.

In addition to font compatibility, there are a few other things it can be.  If you could provide the URL for troubleshooting.

@Nate The URL is blog.ponyclub.org. Not sure that will help. You will just see the posts as they are, in plain text. 

Something about a recent change (must've been in one of the updates of the "theme" maybe in our wordpress site) took the italics from ALL of the posts (even the ones already posted that had italics in them) and now won't let us put italics in them at all.

At the top of the "edit post" page there is a row of boxes with "code" you can add to a post to make it bold or italicised or add a link, etc. All the rest work except the italics "button". It puts the code at the beginning and end of the phrase we want italicised, but when you click "preview" or even "post" on the blog you have written, the code does nothing. I was trying to get community help before I contacted Go Daddy. 

I have had our IT people here look and they can't figure out why either. They feel it isn't coming from us, its coming from something from Go Daddy or WP.

Lets also add, I am a novice when it comes to ANYTHING to do with "code" or css or HTML or any of the above. Part of my job is just to put the posts on our wordpress site and then get them to go live for our members to read. I have not been trained to "change stuff to rich text" or the like, and am lucky I understand that the <em> code is what WP uses to put a phrase in italics. The reason I share this is because I'll need things explained in "non-computer literate" speak, similar to when you go to the doctor and they start using "doctor speak" and you look at them like they have grown 4-heads....

Thank you all for continuing to give suggestions..

Strangely,

I just tried replacing the <em> with an <i> and it worked, but if you still click on the little button at the top of the page (for italics) it puts the <em> at the beginning and end of the phrase

So, for now, I will replace it and use it that way, but I guess someone at GoDaddy or Wp? should know that button is broken (or I am doing it wrong), but I promise the little square button with the italicized "i" in it used to make stuff italicized...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @PonyClub

'strangely' I was right lol 😃

A little thanks would be nice though lol 😌.

@Anonymous</a>

Thank you, you were right. However, that doesn't fix the issue, the button doesn't work. The button used to work just fine, and while I can now use that <i> , its really going to suck going back through over 300 posts and changing that little bit, especially since it used to work.

So, while that was a quick fix, its not fixing the issue. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Lol @Anonymous</a>, nobody doubted your html tag proficiency.   It's just some WYSIWYG editors ue EM for italics(strange? I know).

@PonyClub, do you use a custom editor plugin?

@JHasselbring

Not that I know of. The only plugins we have added are one for statistics and one to put ads in our posts. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@PonyClub,

I can't speak for WP editor but when I create an editor like this, it has these major parts:

-Text box that holds the raw data that is added by user and the tags that are added by the editor(the italics button etc)

-Parser that reads and process the data before storing to the database or before being rendered.

- Data base that stores the data, either raw or processed.

-Renderer, similar to parser, that processes the data before showing it on the browser.

Your parser and renderer needs to agree on how to process the data.

Would updating your WP break your site?  If not, I recommend doing that.  

Super User III
Solution

@PonyClubYes, the problem is coming from the HTML/CSS of the theme.

The easiest way to fix would probably be to open /wp-content/themes/evolve/style.css in a plain text editor, find line 1146 and make the following change:

From this...

em, dfn, cite {
    font-style: italic;
}

To this...

em, dfn, cite {
    font-style: italic !important;
}

Add !important after italic but before the ;

Super User III

Here is an article on editing files with WordPress.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_Files

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@Nate,

I love your haxor mentality.  I didn't even think about that.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PonyClub

🙂🙃🙂🙃😀

lol x 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PonyClub wrote:

@Anonymous</a>

Thank you, you were right. However, that doesn't fix the issue, the button doesn't work. The button used to work just fine, and while I can now use that <i> , its really going to suck going back through over 300 posts and changing that little bit, especially since it used to work.

So, while that was a quick fix, its not fixing the issue. 

my solution to something like editing 300 posts would be to use Vim text editor and the 'substitute' command.

That works with developer files and I have little doubt with a few tweaks it would work with Wordpress files. It would be done in around 2 seconds  

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@Anonymous</a>,

More like a PHP recursive MySQL query  script since WP data are stored in DB

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JHasselbring wrote:

@Anonymous</a>,

More like a PHP recursive MySQL query  script since WP data are stored in DB

Hi @JHasselbring@PonyClub@Nate

probably no need to use a recursive MySQL query script, though that's another possibility. 

I would just dump all the databases into sql files which I can directly read in Vim as text, then run the substitution command globally on each to change <em> to <I> .

if all databases put into a folder, then Vim run *.sql, each would be a few seconds. If just one db then easy. 

Unless there was a reason I couldn't dump the databases into sql files or file?

Actually I would probably use SED if there were too many databases to comfortably do with Vim. 

@Anonymous</a>, @JHasselbring@Nate

It just keeps getting better. Most of what you are all talking about is going over my head.

There are no updates on our "theme" right now. I just checked again. 

Now WP has "missed" posting two scheduled blog posts in the last 4 days. I have to go in and "edit" the post and click update to make it post. 

Something is wrong with our theme or WP and I don't know which. Guess I am going to contact Go Daddy. 

Sorry guys, I can't do the "code" thing. I am not trained enough and the few other times I have tried to mess with it, I have done more harm than good.

Thank you for all of your help on this thread. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@PonyClub,

Aight, well, good luck.

Super User III

Like I said the problem is from the HTML/CSS of the theme.  There is no need to go back and change hundreds of posts.  As I see it coming up with a work around would be more difficult and does not actually fix the problem.

Here is the root to the issue... for some reason the theme loads Eric Meyer's CSS Reset AFTER other styling when it should be BEFORE.  So the declaration for em to be italicized is overridden by the reset.

<link rel='stylesheet' id='parallaxcss-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/themes/evolve/library/media/js/parallax/parallax.css?ver=4.7.3' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='fontawesomecss-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/themes/evolve/assets/fonts/fontawesome/css/font-awesome.css?ver=...' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='akp-dynamic-css-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=akp_dynamic_css&#038;ver=4.7.3' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='apsw-frontend-css-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/plugins/author-and-post-statistic-widgets/assets/css/frontend.cs...' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='maincss-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/themes/evolve/style.css?ver=4.7.3' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='reset-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/themes/evolve/assets/css/reset.css?ver=4.7.3' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='bootstrapcss-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/themes/evolve/assets/css/bootstrap.css?ver=4.7.3' type='text/css' media='all' />
<link rel='stylesheet' id='bootstrapcsstheme-css'  href='http://blog.ponyclub.org/wp-content/themes/evolve/assets/css/bootstrap-theme.css?ver=4.7.3' type='text/css' media='all' />

You can try pointing out this flaw to the theme creator and hopefully they would provide an update.

Helper V

@Nate If it's any consolation, the italics won't "store" in the GD products of GoCentral. After I highlight the text and change it to italic, you are unable to save it. Save is greyed out. It's something with GD. Since I can't do any HTML editing or virtually anything else along those lines in GoCentral, it's up to GD to get it fixed.