• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

View/Edit option during ftp session

I'd like to have the ability to view a jpg file during an ftp session without having to download it back to pc to open it. Is this possible? Is it just a matter of associating a photo program on the pc to the view/edit option while I'm connected to my files via ftp? Thank you. Rich

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: View/Edit option during ftp session

@dick6jane 

This typically is a function of the FTP client you are using, but as a general rule in order for the FTP client to view the file it has to download a local copy. 

The other option is to have a web browser open and type in the path / file name and then you can preview it that way.

Philip

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I
    Solution

Hi @dick6jane,

As @PL281  mentioned the FTP program typically does not have any sort of built in viewer since the protocol itself is for "File Transfer".  If you are looking at files and then deciding on the fly to upload/download that is a bit of a different application.  Some of the paid programs (CuteFTP,  the old FTP Voyager) have nice interfaces that do allow for "opening files on the server", but do so via temp copy on download.  Just like @PL281 mentioned.   I use IrfanView for quick viewing and it will open the "download copy" automatically.  If you edit it or want to save it you have to use a "Save As".

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Thank you both for the perspective...very helpful.