Connect my site to a domain
By default, your site's web address is based on what you named it when first setting up Websites + Marketing — with godaddysites.com added at the end. If you want to change your website's domain (address or URL), you have a few options:
- Buy a new GoDaddy domain.
- Use a GoDaddy domain you already own in your own account. (If you have a GoDaddy domain but using a different login and password, you'll need to follow the steps for an external domain.)
- Continue using your free domain name.
- Use an external, non-GoDaddy domain you bought from another company.
Watch a short video of this task further down the page.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Scroll down to Websites + Marketing and select Manage next to your website or store.
- Select Website > Edit Site to open your site editor.
- In the editor, select Use my domain next to your domain name. (The other option is to go to Settings then select Manage next to your domain name.)
- GoDaddy suggests unused domains for you based on your keywords and how much the domain costs. If you'd like to look for something different, select Search for a domain. If you already have a domain name, select I already own a domain.
- Now you get to choose where you want your website published.
- If you already have a domain name you'd like to use with GoDaddy, select it from the dropdown-list.
- If you'd like to continue using your free domain name, select the radio button next to it.
- If you have a domain name at another company or at GoDaddy using another login and password, use the drop-down list to select Add an external domain.
- If you selected to use one of your own domains or if you choose to continue using the free domain, select either Save or Save & Publish.
- If you are using an external domain, select Next and follow the prompts.
- You'll need to log into your external domain provider's website and find where to change that domain's A record. (If you have any trouble, contact that domain provider for support.)
- Update the external domain's A record by entering the appropriate IP address below based on the area closest to your location.
- U.S. East Coast: 126.96.36.199
- U.S. West Coast: 188.8.131.52
- Europe: 184.108.40.206
- Asia: 220.127.116.11
- Once you've successfully updated your external domain's A record, check the box to confirm it's been changed then select Save & Publish.
- If you're switching to a GoDaddy domain (within the same login and password), you'll usually see a Your site is live! notice after a few moments. If you're switching to an external (non-GoDaddy) domain, it can take up to 72 hours to take effect. You'll know the change is successful when you see your domain name in the Website Editor. Or select View Site to see your website with its new address.
Show me how
This video is part of the How-To series for Adding Advanced Functionality in Website Builder