Create a subdomain
You can create a subdomain record in your DNS (Domain Name System) zone file for a domain registered with GoDaddy. Subdomains use a domain prefix, such as pics.coolexample.com, to point to an IP address. To add a subdomain that points to a domain name or URL, you can add a CNAME. To manage DNS for a domain not registered with GoDaddy, you can use DNS hosting.
You can watch a short animation of this task farther down the page.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Click Manage All next to Domains.
- Scroll down to the Additional Settings section and select Manage DNS.
- On the DNS Management page, at the bottom of the Records section, click Add.
- Select A from the Type drop-down menu.
- Complete the required fields:
- Click Save to complete the process.
|Field name||What to enter|
|Host||The host name, or prefix, the subdomain links to.
If you enter @ for the host, this will change the IP address for your root domain.
|Points to||The IP address you are setting as the destination for the host|
|TTL||How long the server should cache information|
Note: All DNS changes can take 24 - 48 hours to fully update across global networks.
Show me how
- You can edit an existing subdomain record to change any details.
- Or you can delete a subdomain record if it's no longer needed.
- If you need to edit DNS for a domain not registered with GoDaddy, you can manage DNS hosting.