Manually move WordPress to another folder
You may need to move WordPress from one folder to another on the same hosting account. It's certainly possible, but it takes a few more steps than simply moving the files.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- Navigate to the folder containing your WordPress site.
- Select all of the files, and download them to your local computer.
- Within your FTP client, change to the folder where you want to move your WordPress site.
- Upload your WordPress files to this folder.
- Use a find and replace on your database to update your site's URL.
After moving the files and completing the find and replace on your database, your WordPress site will work with the new URL.
- Return to Move a WordPress site to another folder.
- Back up your database. (
cPanel / Plesk / Web Hosting / VPS)
- For more information about our premium support for WordPress, please visit our WP Premium Support Catalog.