Skip to main content
  • GoDaddy Community
  • Buying & Selling Domains
  • Buying & Selling Domains

    cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    DanDay
    Getting Started

    Premium domain sale to customer with a different host/registrar

    Can anyone tell what happens if the potential buyer of a premium (or any) domain wants to host it on their preferred host/registrar? I haven't seen this in a faq or post so far.

     

    Thanks.

    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    justingodfrey
    Rockstar II


    @DanDay wrote:

    Can anyone tell what happens if the potential buyer of a premium (or any) domain wants to host it on their preferred host/registrar? I haven't seen this in a faq or post so far.

     

    Thanks.


    @DanDay if the buyer makes the purchase through a premium listing then the domain is automatically transferred to their Godaddy account after purchase and they can transfer the domain after 60 days. The same basically applies to any domain sold on godaddy, typically the buyer will have to create a godaddy account and make the purchase. In both cases, they'll need to wait 60 days after the domain is in their account to transfer to another registrar.

     

    ---

    6 REPLIES 6
    justingodfrey
    Rockstar II


    @DanDay wrote:

    Can anyone tell what happens if the potential buyer of a premium (or any) domain wants to host it on their preferred host/registrar? I haven't seen this in a faq or post so far.

     

    Thanks.


    @DanDay if the buyer makes the purchase through a premium listing then the domain is automatically transferred to their Godaddy account after purchase and they can transfer the domain after 60 days. The same basically applies to any domain sold on godaddy, typically the buyer will have to create a godaddy account and make the purchase. In both cases, they'll need to wait 60 days after the domain is in their account to transfer to another registrar.

     

    ---

    Thank you JG for your reply. Would this put some people off? I mean if someone has a trusted host/registrar that they are happy with, and perhaps even has other domains with them, to have to open an account and host with someone they don't know (never mind that GD are well known) and then wait 60 days! to go through a transfer process. I know if it was me I wouldn't be happy. Thinking that some

    people may be building a website already and ready to execute soon. What you are saying is host with us or forget it. That's not good for buyer or seller surely. They would have to want that domain desperately. Just a thought.

     

     


    @DanDay wrote:

    Thank you JG for your reply. Would this put some people off? I mean if someone has a trusted host/registrar that they are happy with, and perhaps even has other domains with them, to have to open an account and host with someone they don't know (never mind that GD are well known) and then wait 60 days! to go through a transfer process. I know if it was me I wouldn't be happy. Thinking that some

    people may be building a website already and ready to execute soon. What you are saying is host with us or forget it. That's not good for buyer or seller surely. They would have to want that domain desperately. Just a thought.

     

     


    @DanDay A host and registrar are two different things. They could host the site elsewhere and update the nameservers while the domain is held at Godaddy. You may want to consider listing your domains on Afternic as well.

    ---

    Ok thanks for that. As for Afternic, I thought that Premium listings were also on the Auction listing which means they couldn't be sold elsewhere. 


    @DanDay wrote:

    Ok thanks for that. As for Afternic, I thought that Premium listings were also on the Auction listing which means they couldn't be sold elsewhere. 


    @DanDay Afternic is owned by Godaddy, I list most of my domains there as well.

    ---

    Sorry Justin, I think I messed up the thread a bit, I asked another question then accepted your original solution.