• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper I

Online Store PayPal Guest Checkout Confuses Customers. I am Losing Sales!

I have tried to explain and get help with this problem before, without any success. This is very important to me, and to other sellers who use Online Store. What follows is an unsolicited message I received from a customer who happens to be my brother-in-law:

"Gloria just went out to order another bottle of Receverin and we have a suggestion for your web site. When it comes time to pay it is a bit confusing because the only 'apparent' option is to use PayPal. That is because that is the only option you see is PayPal in the highlighted box. Looking around though I saw a blurb about credit card payments being accepted but couldn't see where I could choose that option. In frustration, I finally decided to use the PayPal option and clicked on that. The next page that came up came up with PayPal as the default option for payment, but below that was the option to pay with a credit card. It was not, however, very obvious. Just a guess, but you may be getting an incentive to promote the PayPal option over credit cards and that is the reason for not making paying with a credit card more obvious or user friendly. It seems to me that you could possibly be losing some customers who don't have PayPal accounts if they don't see a clear way to pay with credit card on the first payment option page. You might want to consider clearly separating the PayPal and credit card payment options on the first checkout page so as to not discourage users who do not have a PayPal account. As a user, I would prefer to see each of the payment options clearly labelled and clickable."

I am begging GoDaddy to fix this problem with the checkout page. A customer who wants to pay with their credit card should clearly see that option and not be confused. The link for this option should go directly to the PayPal Guest Checkout page. If this cannot be done, then at the very least there should be a clear message on the checkout page that says something like this: Credit card transactions are securely processed by PayPal. It is not required that you have a PayPal account, you may check out as a guest. Your credit card information is never stored.

I am losing sales because of this and I have analytics data to prove it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Re: Online Store PayPal Guest Checkout Confuses Customers. I am Losing Sales!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback around PayPal integration on Websites + Marketing Online store.  As of today, we support PayPal Standard on our platform, which requires the consumer to login to PayPal and then authorize the payment.  Merchant could accept CC payments on this flow (Need to configure on PayPal side) , but most consumers don't realize this. This flow is not intuitive for accepting CC payments. So, most merchants enable either Square or Stripe to process CC payments, along with accepting paypal on their websites.  We understand that this bit confusing to merchants, as well as frustrating if you want to use PayPal to process both CC and PayPal payments.

We are looking into supporting 'PayPal Business' account on W+M online store, in the near future. With that, you would be able to accept CC payments and PayPal payment on the online store. Consumers need not leave the checkout, to go to PayPal to complete the CC payment.  They would be able to enter their CC detail on the checkout, just as it is for Square or Stripe.  I think this is exactly what you are looking for.  

I don't have a firm ETA to share with you, at this point. But, please stay tuned and I'll share the details soon. 

Again, thanks for your feedback. We take your feedback, concerns very seriously and try our best to resolve them in a timely manner.  Please continue to share your feedback here and help us build a better product for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Mohan Kumaresh,

Product Manager, W+M online store

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
    Helper VI
    Helper VI

Hello @ReCverin and thank you for reaching out to the GoDaddy Community and expressing your concern. 

I'm assuming your using the Website + Marketing eCommerce plan. Is that correct?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
    Helper I

y previous storefront was on the GoDaddy Quick Shopping Cart (QSC) platform. I was pestered by sales folks from GoDaddy for almost a year, encouraging me to switch. I didn't particularly want to, however they kept hinting that the QSC platform was going to be shut down. Thus I agreed to pay GoDaddy about $1200 to move it, which price includes the month fee for a year. I won't dwell here on the many disappointments I have encountered during and after that process, except to say generally that QSC wasn't exactly "rich" with features, by this Online Store platform is much worse in that regard. The issue I describe here is one of the first and is definitely the most serious issue I encountered. This is my third attempt to get anyone to listen. It is my hope that others Online Store users will recognize that this problem is costing them sales also. I do not like the hassle at all of moving my storefront from platform to platform. But if this problem isn't corrected in the next month or two, I will begin the process to switch to Shopify come March when the prepaid first year runs out.

Helper V

@ReCverinwith a copy to @davisdre317 

I totally agree!! I have had several customers not complete their purchase because they did not want to use paypal and saw no other way to check out. It was only much later I heard about this and told them they have to click on the paypal button to get to the guest checkout. This is a poor design and one which needs remedied fast! And, yes, it is on the (formerly) GoCentral store.

Helper I

Yes @davisdre317 my product is listed on my account as Website + Marketing eCommerce (formerly GoCentral) - With Build - 1 year. I paid $1200 (which includes the $20/month fees for 1 year) for GoDaddy to move my storefront which was previously on the GoDaddy Quick Shopping Cart (QSC) platform. I moved only because GoDaddy sales people were constantly calling and essentially "warning" me that the QSC platform might be shut down. I won't describe the disappointments I experienced with their service in moving. I will only say that the QSC wasn't particularly "rich" with features, but the Online Store platform is far worse in that regard. The problem I describe here is by far the worst problem however. I don't relish the idea of moving my storefront again (in 10 years, I have had to do it 4 times). But if this issue isn't resolved in the next few months, I will begin the process of transfer to Shopify so that I can move in March when my one-year of pre-paid fees expires. I will not give GoDaddy any more money for the kind of service the provide.

Helper I

Thanks @Hopeful. I hope other Online Store clients recognize this is costing them sales also.

Helper V

I totally understand. Best of luck to you.

Helper VI
    Helper VI

@Hopeful and @ReCverin , so i just created a Website + Marketing eCommerce test site, choice Paypal as my payment method. There is an option to choice debit & credit card options and not have to signup for PayPal. Yes, if you have Paypal you will have a faster/smoother process, but it does have the options you want. 

Check out my video for the process i used without going through PayPal. 

I'm curious, do your customer see that option like in my video of me checking out through the store?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
    Helper I

@davisdre317  Thank you for taking so much time to create that video! Yes this is what my checkout process looks like. Let me describe the problems by referring to images from my website.

Please try to imagine that you are a customer who is not familiar with the checkout process on my website, who may not have a PayPal account, or who may have a PayPal account but still does not know that PayPal processes credit card payments.

Look closely at the first checkout page. Do you see any reference to a credit card? Any Master Card, Visa, Discovery Card logos? Any bit of evidence that might suggest to my customer that if she fills in the info and clicks "CONTINUE," that she will eventually find herself at a place where she can pay with a credit card and without needing to have a PayPal account? It is true that she could, but if you were her, can't you imagine that she might perceive that everything below the bar with the word "OR" simply differentiates Fast Checkout with PayPal from Slow Checkout with PayPal?

Checkout1.JPG

Now, suppose she does what my brother in law did and proceed anyway. Fills in the customer info, clicks continue, hoping to find a credit card payment page. What does she see? The exact same PayPal button as she saw on the first page. There is in fact a statement in fine gray text on this page that does refer to a credit card, i.e., "All transactions are secure and your credit card info is never stored." But ask yourself, does she spot this fine print, or does she automatically get frustrated when the big yellow PayPal button confirms her original (mistaken) suspicion that the only way she can pay is with PayPal?

Checkout2.JPG

Hey, maybe she did spot the fine print. Maybe she just wants my product so much, that she stubbornly perseveres in her search for a way to pay with a credit card. So she sees this popup, and indeed it does say quite boldly that she should "Login or pay as a guest." However, even here I think it is likely that she will be focused on the fact that she arrived at a PayPal Login page rather than the text. And I think you would agree that the actual link at the bottom of the page is neither prominent nor is it obvious that this is where she must click to check out as a guest.

Checkout5.JPG

Now I recognize that GoDaddy may not have any control over the way PayPal displays in the above popup. It would have been much more obvious to my customer if the pop-up went directly to the PayPal Guest Checkout Page (which she would finally arrive at if she clicked on "Pay With Debit or Credit Card), but GoDaddy may not have any control over this either. But at the very least, GoDaddy could edit the first page (or give me the means to edit my first checkout page) such that some prominent statement and images of credit card logos would make it definitely clear to my customer, the instant she clicks Checkout on my website, that I DO accept credit cards and she DOES NOT need to have a PayPal account. This is not a change that I believe requires any heroic effort on the part of GoDaddy's Product Management team.

Checkout7.jpg

@Hopeful 

Helper VI
    Helper VI

I understand. The check out process that GoDaddy uses is so similar as shopfiy I got confused on both checkout platforms cause it's the same look and feel.

Sadly enough that PayPal icons on the website are the provide icons from your Payment processor (PayPal). The joys of going through a third-party payment system instead of having your own or GoDaddy payment system.

I believe it's something we need to get use to for hosting providers that are using that same checkout framework payment system.

So I totally relate to your brother in-law cause I've go through that same checkout process on sites that use Shopify. I just didn't know that GoDaddy was using pretty much that same framework as well for checkout on the online store until I created that test site for this thread.

Wish I could help you more, sorry! But at least we both have our feedback on this thread though.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Helper I

I am the OP of this thread. To any Online Store users who have any doubt as to whether the problem I've described here may be affecting your sales: 

I have the "abandoned cart" function in operation. This is a screenshot of a reply I received from a potential customer who received the automatic email generated by the abandoned cart function. I did not solicit this message, or create it surreptitiously...it is real, and it arrived about an hour ago.

Wontusepaypal.png

Here is a screenshot of the reply I had to send back to this potential customer.

Wontusepaypalreply.png

In less than 30 minutes, this customer placed the order. He also sent me this reply:

Wontusepaypalreplyreply.png

Helper V

@ReCverin @davisdre317 Absolutely. Happens all the time. (I'd Kudo you but my Kudos haven't worked for almost 2 years....)  Nonetheless, I hope GD will take this seriously. It would also be helpful to say complete the section below to check out as a guest. PayPal will NOT be used when you check out as a guest.  When I was new to PayPal I also could not figure out why in the world I would click on PayPal if I wasn't using PayPal. In fact, I wish there were 2 buttons on the previous screen. One that says Pay with PayPal and one that says Pay Directly with a Credit Card. GD DOES have control over that screen for sure...

Helper VI
    Helper VI

@Hopeful @ReCverin 

PayPal will always be used throughout your checkout process, cause you have chose PayPal as your payment processor. GoDaddy doesn't have its own payment processor system for the Online store, which is why it gives you options to use Stripe, PayPal, or Square. No option to use GoDaddy built-in payment system. 

Sadly enough once you send the transaction to PayPal API-calls for checkout it is very limited. I've always had this issue with PayPal even on my WordPress website stores. Cause PayPal likes it for everyone to go through the check-out system with PayPal branding. PayPal really doesn't want you to white-label there checkout screens.

Honestly, If you want a smoother process I would recommend you add either Square or Stripe to your checkout payments as well, so when they check out they can have a choice for card/debit (Square for me) or PayPal (where a user that already has a PayPal account can simply login there). I've provided examples below if you would enable Square as well in your store.

Hopefully, that helps you out some more. 

Screenshot (72).png

Screenshot (73).png

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Helper I

Thank you very much @davisdre317 that is a solution I've considered. But as you know, there is a cost associated with Stripe and Square, it would complicate my bookkeeping, and I have also found a number of concerning issues in threads on this forum about Stripe and Square.

Please stay tuned, as I will soon be posting some new information. I have spent most of yesterday and today accumulating this. But I took a break to reply to your post and just say this:

I know that PayPal wants to use my website to acquire PayPal accounts and also to sell a service called PayPal Payments Pro to sellers like me (as you will see in my next post). I know they don't want me to "white label" their checkout pages (or their motives). But I am paying GoDaddy to help me sell MY products, not PayPal's. Best regards, Doug. @Hopeful 

Helper I

I have more information about this problem. But first I want to explain why I am referencing as many people as I'm allowed, including Online Store users, Mods, Super Users, etc. Many Online Store users are completely unaware that this problem affects their sales; and, important people’s influence is needed to convince GoDaddy Product Management to address this immediately. The solution that I and @Hopeful have proposed does not require changing the checkout process one bit. The solution is very simple, the problem affects many customers, and for those reasons this should take highest priority in the queue.

If you have not been following this thread, please start from the beginning before reading what follows, to get up-to-speed.

It appears to me that there is a solution that costs $30/month. That is the fee for using PayPal Payments Pro (PPP). On my previous website that was hosted on GoDaddy’s Quick Shopping Cart (QSC) platform, that is exactly what I had to do to avoid this problem. For over 4 years, I paid PayPal $30 every month for this one single purpose.

In May of this year, when I paid GoDaddy to move my website to the Online Store platform, I worked with a group called Professional Web Services (PWS). When my website was completed, I had the opportunity to review it and request changes. It was at this point that I discovered the problem again. I was told by PWS group that IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE TO INTEGRATE PPP IN THE ONLINE STORE PLATFORM. I was very insistent and spoke with more than one person in the PWS group, as well as with the sales person  who convinced me to change. Multiple times I was told PPP cannot be integrated.

Yesterday while digging through this forum collecting the names below, I came across and visited another Online Store user’s website. I tested the checkout process on his website, and lo and behold, it operates exactly like my old QSC site. I emailed that user and asked what payment option he was using. He wrote back, “PayPal business.” Now I don’t know absolutely, but it sure appears to me that his website does indeed have PPP integrated. I encourage anyone reading this to visit https://intenseherbal72.com/ and test the difference in checkout. You will see that it is completely invisible to the customer that PayPal is the credit card processor, and in fact the transaction occurs without leaving the website.  Will someone from GoDaddy please correct me if I’m wrong, or else teach your customer support and PWS groups that PPP can be integrated?

Still, I don’t think I should have to give PayPal $30/month to process credit cards when they are already doing so with no monthly fee.  And I suspect many other Online Store clients feel the same way…that if GoDaddy can easily correct a problem without costing them $30/month, then that’s exactly what they expect GoDaddy to do.

A solution like @Hopeful and I propose is best.

Just FYI here is a portion of an email I sent to PWS group and the GoDaddy sales person back in May:

“…Now back to the PayPal Checkout issues. It is true that, functionally, the QSC checkout and the GoCentral checkout are essentially identical (i.e., a customer can pay with either PayPal or with their credit card via PayPal, and they don’t have to have a PayPal account to make a credit card purchase). However, many people do not have a PayPal account and/or don’t understand that PayPal processes credit cards and/or do not trust PayPal. Thus, when they get to the checkout page, it is important that they see, in addition to a PayPal Checkout button, an alternative payment route. And in fact, as you said the other day, there is an alternate on the GoCentral checkout page where they enter their Customer Information and click continue. But that leads them to another page (attached screenshot Website Credit Card Checkout) which offers only the same PayPal Checkout button. And here’s the problem: Many customers make the incorrect assumption that they need a PayPal account to purchase my products, and if they don’t already have one they will simply abandon the cart, and I lose a sale.

PayPal (though they wouldn’t admit it) is perfectly aware of this problem, but rather than make any effort to help merchants like me, they in fact subtly reinforce the customer’s misperception. In other words, they are willing to risk losing the sales fee from my customer in order to try and fool them into registering for a PayPal account. One of these subtle tricks is evident in the screenshot PayPal Popup1. While the PayPal login info is all big and colorful, the “pay with a credit card” text is black and small, at the bottom, and most importantly still does not give my customer any clue that they can check out as a Guest without creating a PayPal account.  It is only after they find and click on the “pay with a credit card” button that the customer is directed to the Guest Checkout screen (screenshot PayPal Popup2).

But PayPal does offer a solution to this problem (of course a merchant must pay $30/month more for it); it is called PayPal Payments Pro. When it is integrated as in the QSC site, a customer enters all the info right there without exiting my website. They do not get the mistaken impression that they must have a PayPal account to make a purchase, and they actually don’t have any idea what company is the credit card processor. So I don’t lose sales due to the above-mentioned perceptions of some people.

Now, it’s a bit late for me to do anything about it, but had I realized that the new platform did not have this feature, I would not have chosen to change. Thus I’m hoping you will understand the issues faced by small online merchants like me, and consider offering the integration of PayPal Payments Pro. If this is not gonna happen, then please let me know so I can cancel my PayPal Payments Pro service and save $30/month.”

@davisdre317 @Williams84 @JesseW @MPC @TLH @RachelM @ProdMgr_OLS @rd @djlaserman @kC37 @32marsh @acptr @SSM1 @PL281 @Nate @MrVapor @Muse @ProductInsights @Intenseherbal72 

Super User II
    Super User II

@ReCverin 

Thank you for tagging me - while I don't use Websites & Marketing, I've been following this since before you tagged me. 

I did take a look at https://intenseherbal72.com/  and took the following screen capture during checkout.... Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 2.20.13 PM.png

In checking the Source Code on the page (as an end user) that first option that says Credit Card seems to be linked with Square

I know from previous sites that I've worked on (WordPress) that as you stated, PayPal has 2 (well actually a few) different offerings

1) PayPal Standard - You leave the website and check out via PayPal (no account required)

2) PayPal Business - This is where you pay the additional monthly fee and you get it more like a gateway where everything just works in the background

3) Braintree by PayPal - this seems to be a blending of the 2 - but requires more business verification before it will be activated.

I agree with you that I don't like people having to leave the site and go to paypal, however, as someone who has been building websites since 1997 I would say at this point PayPal is such a staple / standard on websites and most people that do any sort of online shopping are used to it being optional to create a PayPal account.

One of the biggest issues that I've always taken with PayPal is funding that you had to manually transfer the funds - apparently PayPal now has an auto-sweep function for business and premier accounts  - it still may take 3-4 days after the transfer to post to your bank.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Helper I

@PL281 Thank you. You would know better than I if this links to Square or PayPal. I respect your knowledge and experience greatly, but the evidence I see is not consistent with the assumption that just about everyone is familiar with PayPal login being optional. In addition to the two examples I experienced and shared here, both within a single week, I see this behavior in analytics frequently where people visit, add products, then visit checkout multiple times...yet I receive no corresponding order to that city. Also, it would seem pointless for PayPal to continue making it so un-obvious and difficult to find Guest Checkout. 

Thanks for the PayPal account info. I found an interesting PayPal site describing the various payment options. It would be very nice if GoDaddy could integrate what is called PayPal Payments Advanced because, "What makes PayPal Payments Advanced different is that it lets customers check out directly on your website. That’s good news if you sell merchandise through your own online store instead of an online marketplace. PayPal Payments Advanced incorporates this process into your website for just $5 per month (that’s it, no hidden fees)."

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/paypal-payments-advanced 

Helper I

@PL281 @davisdre317 @Muse @MrVapor 

It occurs to me that one of you folks might actually be able to help me but you aren't allowed to offer your paid service unless I ask you directly. Is it conceivable I could hire one of you to integrate PayPal Payments Advanced on my Online Store?

Super User II
    Super User II

@ReCverin 

The GoDaddy Websites + Marketing is a closed system and therefore only GoDaddy can make modifications / enhancements to the system. You have copied the right people on your thread, however I don't think anyone can give you a timeline to have the payment system changed / adjusted (even your idea of just adding the label) 

If this is an absolute deal breaker that you need to get switched over the other payment processor I would suggest using WordPress with WooCommerce as there are plugins for PayPal Pro

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback around PayPal integration on Websites + Marketing Online store.  As of today, we support PayPal Standard on our platform, which requires the consumer to login to PayPal and then authorize the payment.  Merchant could accept CC payments on this flow (Need to configure on PayPal side) , but most consumers don't realize this. This flow is not intuitive for accepting CC payments. So, most merchants enable either Square or Stripe to process CC payments, along with accepting paypal on their websites.  We understand that this bit confusing to merchants, as well as frustrating if you want to use PayPal to process both CC and PayPal payments.

We are looking into supporting 'PayPal Business' account on W+M online store, in the near future. With that, you would be able to accept CC payments and PayPal payment on the online store. Consumers need not leave the checkout, to go to PayPal to complete the CC payment.  They would be able to enter their CC detail on the checkout, just as it is for Square or Stripe.  I think this is exactly what you are looking for.  

I don't have a firm ETA to share with you, at this point. But, please stay tuned and I'll share the details soon. 

Again, thanks for your feedback. We take your feedback, concerns very seriously and try our best to resolve them in a timely manner.  Please continue to share your feedback here and help us build a better product for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Mohan Kumaresh,

Product Manager, W+M online store

View solution in original post

Helper I

@ProdMgr_OLS Thank you. I think you describe exactly what I'm hoping for. I believe that "supporting 'PayPal Business' account on W+M online store" would mean I could use either PayPal Payments Advance ($5/month) or PayPal Payments Pro ($30/month). Since I only need this checkout feature and not the other services associated with the more expensive option, my problem could be solved at an entirely acceptable $5/month fee with your help. I know you are busy with all kinds of requests for improvements to the platform, but I politely implore you to give this the highest priority possible. Please also make a point to let me know when this is implemented so that I can come back here and accept this solution.

@davisdre317 @Williams84 @JesseW @MPC @TLH @RachelM  @rd @djlaserman @kC37 @32marsh @acptr @SSM1 @PL281 @Nate @MrVapor @Muse @ProductInsights @Intenseherbal72