• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Password Protect a page in GoCentral

If anyone is currently using WebSite Builder and has a page password protected using a user name and password then DO NOT UPGRADE TO GOCENTRAL.  I recently got talked into switching from Website Builder to GoCentral and the password options are not the same.  If you want to set a specific user name and password for a page then DO NOT UPGRADE.  With GoCentral you only have the option to invite people by sending them an email with the invitation.  If you want to have the same ability that you did in website builder for free you must pay $1237.00 US dollars for password services or at least that is what I was told and that is a RIPOFF.  I would have never spent the money to update if I had know I would loose this ability unless I paid a ridiculous amount of money.  I have been a GoDaddy customer for a very long time using them go my web hosting my website designer and my domain registration.  I am seriously going to look at other options what the guy just told me I would have to pay for this one simple feature is just bat crazy.

Unhappily,

Jimmy

4 REPLIES 4
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Password Protect a page in GoCentral

@markusj 

Yes, it is true that password protected pages in GoCentral works differently than the older website builders that GoDaddy once offered. It should be noted that the older website builders are no longer being updated and eventually the servers they are on will be repurposed or retired for new ones.

I would be curious who told you that you'd have to pay that much money for a feature that GoCentral doesn't offer, however. I would like to know the rest of that story because that sounds fishy and might need to be brought to someone's attention depending on the circumstance.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I thought it was fishy as well.  The person was in the online chat and his name started with a V.  Unfortunately the chat ended before I could click email transcript and when I went back on they said they could not recall a previous chat.  The package he offered does not even exist on the site.  He called it something like Premium PWS.  He said that would give me the option I had before along with office 365 which I DO NOT NEED.

Solution

Hi @markusj,

While "fishy" isn't the word I would use... a "whole-new kettle of fish" is more fitting. The answer to your question is contained in two different solutions in creating access and passwords to private pages. 

You are able to add users to your new GoCentral website, so certain customers can access private pages. But it will require different instructions than the previous website builder programs. Each person to whom you give permissions will be given an email invitation and will be able to see all private pages you have created. 

The (new-kettle of fish) package offered to you by the chat agent - to provide greater control on this option - is our website design service. WE can build the website for you (using WordPress), hence the higher fee. (The Office 365 simply comes free with that option.) You may also incorporate these features by building the WordPress website on your own, using our Managed WordPress hosting. There are a nearly infinite amount of plugins that can help you with all the features you desire for your site - you just purchase hosting. 

I hope this clarifies your options for you. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at x.co/247support
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

@markusj 

Regarding the price offered, now that I have more context I know what the agent was trying to sell. PWS is a department in GoDaddy that will build you a website. He was offering to get you set up with a GoDaddy web designer. Not fishy. Just doing their job.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community