• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

wanted to try free ssl, now I can't

I had a problem yesterday, whereas I purchased 3 domains. .com, .net and .org.

because of this Google gave me a free product: a Free SSL certificate for one of the domains!

I also purchased a premium hosting account.

I tried to add the .com to the premium hosting account, and it wouldn't let me, giving me an error.

SO, I decided to use the .net 'for now' until i could figure out what the problem was.

I was then prompted to use the SSL, and so I assigned it to the .net domain.

Well, I called support this morning and they explained I was given a free hosting for the .com,

which was why i couldn't assign the .com. Well there were no "instructions" about this, hence why i called for support.

Well now I had the .com hosting and I wanted to transfer the free ssl certificate to the .com, NOT the .net. I went to the SSL Cert management area, and looked around at all the links and couldn't see any way to change the .net to the .com! I clicked on the "all", and I just ended up back to the .net.

So, I was going to click on the 'revoke" button for the .net, and it gave me the reasons, which was "incorrect information". logical, right? so I revoked the .net ssl, and low and behold I didn't have any SSL CERT anymore!

So, I called up support, explaining the situation, and the lady was quite.. condescending and telling me I shold have known? that revoke is revoke the WHOLE SSL CERT PRODUCT itself! Well, I tried to explain to her that's not what the website said, and she was only interested in trying to SELL me another CERT, and I haven't even tried the original ssl cert!

So,  naturally, my question is, how do I get this ssl cert back for the .com.

I didn't even use it yet!

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: wanted to try free ssl, now I can't

Hi @DivineAlchemy. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy community!

Sorry to hear you've had  a difficult time with this issue. I definitely understand your frustration. To clarify, when the "revoke" link is clicked in the certificate manager, this is the dialogue that appears: 

revokedialogue.jpg

Note: The image above is not from your account. 

As you can see, the dialogue mentions that the certificate can not be reissued and that it will be canceled. The dialogue also suggests there are steps to take if you need to change the certificate. I'm sorry if this information was somehow unclear. If you can let us know which part you found confusing, I can take your feedback to our developers so we can help others avoid the same situation. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.