cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer and Privacy.

Hi, 

Back in 2014 I transferred my domain to GoDaddy. It already had privacy in place, however in order to purchase the .uk version, I apparently had to reveal my information so I could prove it was my domain. We did this, I mentioned at the time that I wanted the privacy put back on after, this didnt happen which I realised recently, and now they want to charge me extra for it. From the time I registered the .uk domain which should be the same time privacy was removed, the price has not dropped.

In fact its £1 more expensive than it was. So why am I now being asked to pay extra for something, i didnt have to pay for before. 

I am being told by GoDaddy that they have always charged for privacy but this has definitely not been the case, and if their billing information and audit trail were detailed enough it would clearly show this. We can clearly see the pricing has never become cheaper, and they SHOULD have evidence of removing the privacy. So ....

What can I do. I don't want my personal and private information on show, but equally I dont want to be charged for something I previously had free of charge. If they maintain they charge, and they removed the service, surely I am due a rebate.  

1 REPLY 1
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Domain transfer and Privacy.

@ablueman wrote:

Hi, 

Back in 2014 I transferred my domain to GoDaddy. It already had privacy in place, however in order to purchase the .uk version, I apparently had to reveal my information so I could prove it was my domain. We did this, I mentioned at the time that I wanted the privacy put back on after, this didnt happen which I realised recently, and now they want to charge me extra for it. From the time I registered the .uk domain which should be the same time privacy was removed, the price has not dropped.

In fact its £1 more expensive than it was. So why am I now being asked to pay extra for something, i didnt have to pay for before. 

I am being told by GoDaddy that they have always charged for privacy but this has definitely not been the case, and if their billing information and audit trail were detailed enough it would clearly show this. We can clearly see the pricing has never become cheaper, and they SHOULD have evidence of removing the privacy. So ....

What can I do. I don't want my personal and private information on show, but equally I dont want to be charged for something I previously had free of charge. If they maintain they charge, and they removed the service, surely I am due a rebate.  

@ablueman I can tell you that Godaddy has charged for domain privacy for at least the last 11 years, as long as I've been in this industry. One thing that you can do is Google a domain privacy coupon for Godaddy, I've been able to get mine down to $2-$3.

----