cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Akismet unable to connect to site

I'm experiencing a big uptick in commet spam to my Wordpress site. I have Jetpack with Aksimet installed but when following the dashboard link to Akismet I get a messgae that says "Akismet can't connect to your site" with some boilerplate indicating that the problem is on my end.

Has anyone seen this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just as a follow up, this issue cleared itself up without me doing anything, so presumably it was a problem on Askimet's end.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Welcome to GoDaddy Community, @jwezorek!

I'm not sure why you'd be getting that error. According to this Akismet article, our hosting would usually meet the requirements for connecting. The only thing that comes to mind that you could check is if you're using any kind of custom php5.ini file. You'll need to make sure you haven't somehow disabled allow_url_fopen. The other settings would be beyond your control. If it comes down to that, you might want to reach out to our support team so they can test things form our end. 

Has anyone else in the community encountered this error? If so, how did you get it resolved? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Just as a follow up, this issue cleared itself up without me doing anything, so presumably it was a problem on Askimet's end.

View solution in original post

New

I am having the same issue. Akismet unable to connect and says it's a firewall issue at the hosting server end. As I have no control over the GoDaddy firewalls, I'm screwed. More spam. One guy tries about every half hour to post a comment. Tempted just to turn comments off.

@jwezorek wrote:

I'm experiencing a big uptick in commet spam to my Wordpress site. I have Jetpack with Aksimet installed but when following the dashboard link to Akismet I get a messgae that says "Akismet can't connect to your site" with some boilerplate indicating that the problem is on my end.

Has anyone seen this? 

Yup, I've temporarily disabled comments on my sites this weekend after having about 30 emails in an hour from multiple WP sites come in.