cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoCentral to WordPress

I had created a website in GoCentral, but want migrate to WordPress.  So I went to Hosting cPanel, double-clicked on WordPress, and followed the process to install on the root of the domain.  Then my website went down (it was not reachable from the browser).  I was afraid that I lost all the content.  I went back to GoCentral and did a Publish.  This brought back the website, and I could take offline copy for backup.  After taking a backup I went to cPanel and Uninstalled WordPress and did an Install again.  But this time WordPress doesn't seem to work.  I get 404.  What a I doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: GoCentral to WordPress

Hi @bhaskarns,

Are you installing WP into the root directory or a folder?  Makes a HUGE difference on cPanel.  If you are using the installatron, pay attention to the directory into which wp is being installed.  If it is not the root directory, then you'll want to change it to the root.

As you are working on your cpanel wp site, do you have a domain name that you can use while building it? It might be easier since you are new to WP to have a development site totally separate from your main domain while you get your content published.  If you have the wp installation in the root folder of your cPanel, DNS management is easy.   That's my current method of cPanel development and switching the primary domain is a real piece of cake.  If not, .....be patient as it get detailed!

Let me know if you need more help!
James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Yes, I have installed in the root directory.  After installation, shouldn't www.sitename.com/wp-admin or www.sitename.com/wp-content open up?  They're both giving 404 error.  When I open up Installatron, I see App (WP icon), Title (sitename), Version (4.9.1), Files (33.4 MB), Database (0.2 MB).  So things look Ok, but how do I edit my site through WordPress?

Solution

After a few Uninstalls / Installs (to WordPress) and Resets (to cPanel), things started working.  I did lose all my GoCentral Website Builder contents, but I'm now setup with WordPress.  However, when I visit the website (with Chrome browser), I now get a "Not Secure" warning.  I wonder why this came up now and how do I get rid of it?

By the way, I also realised that the Themes available in WordPress.org hosted on GoDaddy and those available in the free WordPress.com site are different.

Solution

I installed ZeroSSL to get rid of the "Not Secure" warning.  This video was very useful : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPcznB74GPs

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Way to go!!

I'll keep this one in my file for quick reference.

Thanks for the info,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites