YouTube.com is one of the most visited websites in the world. The video sharing site has more than two billion visitors every month and 30 million active users daily. On YouTube, you will find a variety of videos that teach you various skills, explain concepts and how things work. However, the best part is, you do not have to spend any money — in fact, we will show you how to make money on YouTube.
There are people who earn lakhs from the YouTube videos they make at home.
Those who create and upload videos on YouTube share their knowledge with others, and some of them have millions of subscribers to their channels. They earn money from YouTube videos because they create great videos that have many viewers.
What it takes to make money on YouTube
If your YouTube channel crosses 1,000 subscribers who have spent at least 4,000 hours watching your videos in the past 12 months, you can start making money from it. First, you must apply to YouTube’s monetisation program (more on this later).
The YouTube team will review your videos and if approved, will start putting ads in your videos. Then sit back and start receiving cheques from YouTube!
In this article, we will show you how to set up your own YouTube channel and give you tips on how to increase your subscriber base.
Note: Skip step one if you already have a Gmail account.
1. First things first — get a Gmail account
The first thing to do is to register for a Gmail or Google account (you may use your existing Google account if you have one). Make a note of your username and password.
Pro Tip: Before you create a YouTube channel, spend some time thinking about the type of videos you will be shooting and uploading. Think about the theme that’s broad enough to merit many videos and a catchy name for your channel. It’s a good idea to create a logo for your channel; there are many free apps on the Google Play store you can use to do this.
Now that you are ready with the plans for your YouTube channel, take out your laptop or mobile phone, start your browser and follow these steps.
2. Create a YouTube channel
To create your own YouTube channel:
- Go to YouTube, click Sign in and enter your Gmail/Google credentials.
- Look on the top right corner of the screen, for a placeholder that’s meant for your profile picture or logo. Click on that placeholder and select Create a channel (or Your channel, if you have a Google account).
- A popup titled “Your creator journey begins” will appear with the button Get started.
- After you click Get started, you are presented with two options for the channel name — use your Gmail ID username or create a custom name.
- We recommend that you choose a custom name that reflects what your videos are all about. So, think of something catchy like “Just of laughs” or “Janet’s easy recipes.”
- Finally, click Create.
Nice work! You now have your very own YouTube channel. You are a step closer to earning money from YouTube videos.
However, before you shoot and upload your videos to your channel, there are a few more things to be done.
Your channel photo, description and links
You need to upload a photo or logo for your YouTube channel.
Use a free app like Logo Maker from the Google Play store to create your logo on your smartphone.
The next thing to do is to write a nice description for your channel:
- Introduce yourself
- Tell your viewers where you are from
- Share your story about what you do
- Describe what your channel is about
Also, add the links to your personal social media pages on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Important step: Before you upload your first video, you need to verify your channel. It is also necessary to mention your country and phone number.
Here’s how to verify your channel:
- Click your channel icon or profile photo and then click Settings > View additional features > Verify.
- Select your country and choose if you prefer a phone call or text message. If you opt for a phone call, you will get an automated call after entering your number.
- Enter your phone number and click Submit.
- You will receive a call or text message with the code.
- Enter the code and hit Submit.
- Your account is now verified.
If you want to monetise your channel and earn money from YouTube videos, then you must have many subscribers. The only way to attract them is to create interesting, educational or entertaining videos that are well-made in all aspects:
- Good story line
- Interesting topics
- Good production
- Useful information
Watch a few videos in your niche to see what the best YouTubers are doing. You should try to match this level of quality.
3. Start sharing videos
Now for the work. Shoot, edit and upload your first video, using either a desktop computer (PC), laptop, tablet or smartphone.
It’s easier to edit videos on a laptop or PC.
As mentioned earlier, you would want to create a series of videos around your central theme. In addition:
- Choose a topic where you have intricate knowledge. You should be seen as an authority on that topic. For instance, if you are a good chef, then do a series of recipe videos and offer cooking tips.
- Use humour and smile in your videos. Dress smartly. A neat appearance projects a good personality, and this is important if you want to have many subscribers for your channel.
- Use the YouTube Studio app to upload and manage videos on your mobile phone or log in to your YouTube account on your desktop and use the desktop version.
Videos can be shot using a:
- Digital camera
- Handy cam
Here are a few tips on creating a successful YouTube channel:
Create a studio space
Set up a studio in one corner of your home or office with a neutral background and good lighting. The room should isolate external sounds.
Choose your video equipment
Use a phone with a good camera (recommended: 4K resolution) or an SLR digital camera. We recommend the use of a tripod stand for your phone/camera and external lamps.
Follow the rules
You must comply with the YouTube channel monetisation policies and guidelines so read them before you start filming. YouTube will delete videos dealing with these subjects — and could even block your channel.
Spend enough time editing your videos
While you can create your channel and edit videos on your smartphone, we recommend you edit using a desktop or laptop computer.
Explore the free video editing apps like:
- PowerDirector (Google Play Store)
- KineMaster (Google Play)
- Movie Maker that comes with Windows
- iMovie, included with macOS
As you get into the routine of creating videos, your goal is to increase the subscribers of your channel. Aim for at least 1,000 subscribers, as that is a requirement for monetising your channel.
4. Increase subscribers to your YouTube Channel
You’ll want to refresh the content on your YouTube channel regularly to keep interest high. Here are a few ideas:
- Begin each video with an interesting hook and tell your viewers what they will achieve in watching this video. Show the end result upfront. To keep them coming back, mention what the next video in the series will be about.
- Create videos that have a storyline. People love listening to stories and this will make your videos engaging. Share your personal experiences.
- Keep the introductions and video titles short. Change the frame/scene frequently. Shoot from different angles to keep it interesting.
- Use a catchy background tune at the beginning and add a bit of animation to make your videos appealing.
- Request your viewers to click the Subscribe, Like and Share buttons.
Once you have at least 100 followers, you can add a custom domain name to your YouTube channel. So instead of having a YouTube web address (URL) that looks like this:
You can have one like this:
Type the domain name you want in the box now to see if it’s available
5. Monetise your channel
To earn money from YouTube videos, you must join the YouTube Partners Program (YPP). However, to be eligible for this, you have to satisfy all YouTube guidelines:
- 4,000 valid public watch hours in the past 12 months
- At least 1,000 subscribers to your channel
- Compliance with YouTube policies and guidelines
The YouTube team wants to ensure that you have quality content on your channel, and they need enough videos to review your channel.
You should enable the monetisation option after creating your YouTube channel and uploading a few videos.
Wait a month or two, when you have enough videos on your channel to do this.
You will then become eligible and the YouTube team can review your videos.
Sign up for monetisation notification
Choose the option to have YouTube send you a notification when you become eligible for monetisation.
To do this:
- Click on your profile picture or logo in your channel.
- Choose Settings.
- In the “Your channel” click Channel status and features.
- In the “Monetisation” tab click Enable.
- The next screen will be titled “Grow with YouTube.” This screen will show you the number of subscribers you have and the total hours watched.
- Click the button Notify me when I am eligible.
YouTube will send you an email when you are eligible to apply for monetisation. You will need to agree to the YPP terms and sign up for a Google AdSense account. You will receive instructions by email on how to do all this.
What happens next
After a month or so, YouTube will start putting ads at the beginning of your videos and pay you money for these ads. There are also other ways to earn money from YouTube videos, such as channel membership and Super chat.
That is how to make money on YouTube
As you have read (and possibly experienced) it is not difficult to create a YouTube channel and earn money from YouTube videos. You just need to:
- Be creative
- Shoot many good videos
- Get a lot of subscribers and likes
You can do all this with a minimum investment because the apps for editing videos are free. You don’t have to invest in equipment as you can do all this with your smartphone.
To improve the quality of your videos, we recommend you buy a tripod stand and an external lamp.
You could also buy a lapel microphone on Amazon for less than Rs.500 and use a quiet room in your home.
So what are you waiting for? Sit in the director’s seat and start working on your video scripts! In time, you will start making money from YouTube videos.
Just keep creating many good videos!
The information contained in this blog post is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as an endorsement or advice from GoDaddy on any subject matter.