• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted

Move my website

Hi,

My Domain is expiring soon and want to move it from GoDaddy so that I have more control on my Website Design, can someone please tell me how I go about moving it.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
    Highlighted
    Advocate VI Advocate VI
    Advocate VI

Re: Move my website

Before you move it to another hosting company, I'd want to know which hosting package you have now. There are several hosting packages at GoDaddy, and some will give you ULTIMATE control over the design. So maybe it's a question of changing the package you have, to a different one at GoDaddy.

I design websites professionally, and I'm able to do completely custom work on both the Managed WordPress and cPanel hosting packages at GoDaddy. So my guess is that you are just interested in moving to another type of hosting. In that case, it's not necessary to move to a new company.

Also, note that the domain expiration and the hosting platform are two completely different pieces of your website. Moving your domain registration won't change anything unless you also change your hosting (whether at GoDaddy or elsewhere).

Highlighted

Thanks Lisa,

I use the Website builder on Godaddy, which is very primitive it's ok for starters but now I want to add videos and more flash stuff I have a web designer package that I like and can do more with and I can then upload it when I want to make changes.

I am not saying I am unhappy with godaddy it was what we wanted when we started, we have now got a lot bigger therefore need more.

Sherlock

Highlighted
    Advocate VI Advocate VI
    Advocate VI

Well, you can get cPanel hosting and it will handle a site that has both video and flash (although I don't recommend using flash).

In all the sites I've built (over 600), I have never needed to implement something that could not be done on GoDaddy hosting.

Highlighted

Thanks Lisa,

But all I want to know is what I need to from Godaddy to move my Host.

Highlighted
    Rockstar II
    Rockstar II

@Sherlock_Bash wrote:

Thanks Lisa,

But all I want to know is what I need to from Godaddy to move my Host.

@Sherlock_Bash I'm not under any oligation to tell you to stay with Godaddy. I used to have several very large and active websites and I ultimately outgrew Godaddy. Their hosting is a lot better now though. Anyway, moving the host shouldn't be that hard. FTP into your site, download all site files onto your computer, download the associated database and then do the same at your new host but you'll be uploading instead of downloading. Also make sure to update any settings that may have been setup for the last host, if you're using wordpress you'll need to update the wp settings, database, etc.

Highlighted

Thank you Lisa Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Hi lisa seems like u know your stuff. Do u do work for individuals....I might need some help over here