• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted

New Webpage will not load

I developed and launched a new website yesterday, but when I try to go to the website, it continues to say that it is "coming soon."  Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
    Highlighted
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: New Webpage will not load

Hello @hartleyl

So many questions left unanswered? Where did you do the site development? Where is the site hosted? Where is your domain located? Are your domain and hosting in the same place? Did you add the hosting details properly?

Typically what I do is point the domain while I am developing the website and create a simple holding page of my own rather than rely on the default one.  If I am using WordPress or another CMS I just use a plugin to put the site in maintenance mode while I keep the development going. I find that pointing the domain first and making sure it is proper is essential to do first because it insures that what you develop can be seen once it it ready to go with a basic flick of the switch.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Highlighted

I am an absolute novice ... Okay, novice exaggerates my skills and knowledge.

I have the same question as the author of this post. However, I have no idea what you just said.

I have created my website using wordpress.org --- via the installation of wordpress though my go daddy account. I have no idea how to activate it so I don't get the same message the original poster referenced "Coming Soon."

Also, I installed the phbb forum. I have no idea how to attach that to my website.

Do you mind pulling out your crayons and breaking it down for people like me? I do greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you very much.

Highlighted
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

No crayons needed @virginia but please excuse my geek speak. I assume that either you have cPanel hosting and you followed instructions like Install WordPress on Your Domain or you followed instructions like Install WordPres? Either way you seen on your way to getting full geek yourself. 

If you used the GoDaddy install your WordPress should be installed to the directory you specified. You can go to your File Manager and have a look at your directory structure. It sounds like maybe you would have installed your WordPress into a subdirectory and you still have the welcome.html on your root? If you installed WordPress on the root then the WordPress index.php file would load rather than the default "Coming Soon" page. Also a index.html page (if present in your WordPress directory) could cause your website to display improperly. Certainly both your WordPress and your phbb wouldn't be both on your root directory. For me precise directions are difficult because I cannot see your structure.

1. When WordPress Is The Main Site, i.e accessed via http://www.yourdomain.com. When your blog is installed using this type – your blog Root Folder will be most commonly public_html or www (depending on what your host is using)
    2. When WordPress Is Sub-domain or A Folder Within Main Site. The url to your blog will be different depending on which method you used, i.e accessed as http://blogname.yourdomain.com or http://www.yourdomain.com/blogname/ all files will still be located within the folder INSIDE the public_html, blogname.

I have never installed using wordpress.org, maybe someone who is more familiar with how they do things will come along and contribute? Meanwhile have a look at Why isn't my website displaying? and maybe that will help? Hope that helps? Come back and follow up please.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head