• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Pushing staging to production has taken over three hours and isn't finished yet?

I have a fairly simple site and needed to push staging to production this morning so I could duplicate the site for another build. I requested the change over three hours ago and it's still working? 

6 REPLIES 6
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

I think that perhaps you and I might not call the same thing simple @DTurner? By that I mean "simple" is a relative term. Sometimes the hamsters that makes the internet go around are slower. This can be anything from connection (upload) or server issues (connection from one to another). Sometimes I have even found that small websites have more files and directory structures than can be initially noticed.

There is not real set time to do transfers so it is difficult to say if there is much a problem. I would say just watch it and wait? Hopefully it will transfer successfully? Sorry that I couldn't offer something that was a resolution for you. Please come back and let us know what ends up happening with your transfer, now I'm curious. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

@rd You're right, simple is a relative term. Smiley Happy But these changes were mostly cosmetic and I didn't feel that they should take....hmmm, now four hours plus.  Concerns me because of the network issues that we were having a couple of weeks ago...are we back to that again? Reading that there are major email issues as well. What I should have been able to accomplish in less than an hour is now holding up my day. Admittedly I'm relatively new to this stuff but sheesh....this is nuts.

What kind of hosting are you dealing with @DTurner? Initially it sounded like you were doing an initial push from your development environment to production? If you were just updating a couple of things that does seem strange.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

@rd It's Managed Wordpress. I have a client that keeps changing their minds about the look of the site...I've taken to keeping production in the original and changing the staging to give them the visual, then pushing when they decide (or change their minds and realize the first was better.) So the changes are usually very simple...the major elements of the site aren't changing. 

Now I'm getting this when trying to sign in. 

"This website is under heavy load (queue full)

We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later."

And the staging push is still not finished. 

I find that when dealing within shared hosting environments the "heavy load" does not always mean heavy load from you. In those cases I would say keep any updates to off hours in the hope of encountering less traffic. Sounds like your changes shouldn't take hours but within your managed environment I couldn't really advise you on a solid solution. I'd start the changes over.

Clients do tend to change their minds @DTurner, welcome to dealing with clients. It's especially nice when they go back to the first thing and proclaim "Turns out you were right the first time."

@rd, yes, they surely do. I fortunately enjoy the opportunity to dial a project in and make sure it's just right....even if it is often right back to version 1. Smiley Happy

Thank you for trying to help...we'll just keep plugging away and see what happens.