Update a WordPress plugin with FTP
Some premium or custom WordPress plugins can't be updated from your WordPress dashboard. In this case you'll need to upload a copy of the newest version using FTP. You can use any FTP app, but we recommend FileZilla.
- Download the latest version of the plugin and extract it on your local computer (Windows or macOS).
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- In the Remote site section of FileZilla, find the folder with your WordPress site and then go to the /wp-content/plugins folder.
- In the Local site section of FileZilla, find folder with the unzipped latest version of the plugin.
Note: Some plugins unzip into a folder with the version number included in the name. As an example, akismet.4.2.2. You just need the folder from inside that doesn't have the version number. In this example, it would be akismet.
- Drag and drop the plugin folder from the Local site section to the Remote site section.
Your plugin is now updated to the latest version.