cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prorated refund

hi, i've been having problems with my wordpress site. first, i'm told that managed wordpress hosting does not support wordpress multisite, especially in the staging phase. then i tried to do a minimal staging (using the second option, where no content is copied over. only the plugins, themes and users). it was working fine for maybe an hour and then it crashed on me. i tried contacting support via the helpline in my country (+65 6349 4240) but the line is ENGAGED for the past 3 hours.

you are certainly not living up to your 24/7/365 "award-winning support" claims and I would like to seek a prorated refund as I have a remaining of 2 years left on my hosting plan

3 REPLIES 3
Rockstar II

@celebrian wrote:

hi, i've been having problems with my wordpress site. first, i'm told that managed wordpress hosting does not support wordpress multisite, especially in the staging phase. then i tried to do a minimal staging (using the second option, where no content is copied over. only the plugins, themes and users). it was working fine for maybe an hour and then it crashed on me. i tried contacting support via the helpline in my country (+65 6349 4240) but the line is ENGAGED for the past 3 hours.

you are certainly not living up to your 24/7/365 "award-winning support" claims and I would like to seek a prorated refund as I have a remaining of 2 years left on my hosting plan

@celebrian Hi there, have you tried live chat located on the top and bottom of this page? Also, when did you purchase the hosting plan? Hosting packages are eligible for a refund up to 30 days after the initial purchase.

---

Hi Justin, there is no live chat function available to me. I've uploaded a screenshot so that you know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I've past those 30 days. The initial 30 days was good. No issues with the phone helpline, my site was OK and there wasn't a long waiting time whenever I called customer support. Things started to go downhill once we've reached the point-of-no-refund.

For example, just today, the helpline was down for more than 13 hours (as we speak) and considering the fact that the phone helpline was the only form of support available, imagine my frustration and impotent rage as I dialed and redialed the helpline hoping to get through so that someone may assist me with my site.

On a previous occasion, I was told that I'd be transferred to the hosting department as the front-line officers were not able to assist me with my problems. And my line was cut off at least thrice, with no call-backs. I had to call back multiple times and repeat my issues over and over again until the person on the other line deems fit to transfer the call.

Of course, to be fair, I've come across some really nice CSOs on GoDaddy but there are more downs than ups as of late. For a company that purports to have "award winning support", I certainly don't see any evidence of that based on the current support channels, or lack thereof. And the 24/7 support is another lofty claim that evidently couldn't be met.

But my major grudge stems from this "no-prorated-refund policy" because look, a refund policy is not set in stone.

Instead of doing the honorable thing and refunding a prorated amount of my purchase to me with an apology, this company seems to believe that they are entitled to keep the money for the 2 years of hosting that I've already paid for but will obviously not be using simply because of their very well-written refund policy. Then again, I know that there's nothing much that I, a consumer, can do about it except to accept this as a stroke of bad luck.

I have since transferred my website out of GoDaddy's to another hosting service provider that provides far more superior support via a system that is significantly more sophisticated than anything I've seen in GoDaddy. That was about 7 hours ago.

And about 4 hours after my transfer, a GoDaddy representative contacted me on Facebook (because I was so desperate for help, I tried to see if I can get someone to help me by sending them a message on their Facebook page). But guess what, this representative said:

"I'm not aware of any issues with our phone support. If you were trying to call from a mobile phone, you may want to try from a landline..." Said representative went on to ask me about the issues I had with my hosting and to follow up with more details. I replied within 10 minutes but it has been 3 hours since and there's still no signs of any reply from this GoDaddy representative.

But seriously, if this dude had bothered picking up the phone and tried dialing, he will definitely be aware that there ARE issues. I tried calling using a total of 5 different lines (2 landlines and 3 mobile lines) so I am pretty sure the problem doesn't lie with me.

So Justin, if you were in my shoes, do you think that this company deserves to keep the money just because their refund policy said so? I'm asking for a prorated refund because this company wasn't able to live up to its claims and fulfill its end of the deal plus they didn't even bothered to extend an apology when it's clearly their fault. And to refuse a prorated refund when the issue lies with the company and not the customer? That's pretty shameless if you ask me but that's just my own personal opinion.

screenshot godaddy.png

I contacted my business salesperson at Go Daddy within 15 days of paying for a 3 year Ultimate hosting plan as my programmer could not upload the websites he created.  This programmer actually recommended Go Daddy and is familiar with Go Daddy.   No one ever mentioned that I had to cancel within 30 days.   We had e-mails and phone calls about the slowness of the Ultimate hosting plan all through the 30 day period. The sales person knew we had problems and were not pleased with the  hosting plan, and NEVER mentioned to cancel within 30 days.    

The 30 day policy is a new policy since March 2016. 

For older loyal Go Daddy customers who were used to the old policy of pro-rated refunds if you did not like a product, this new refund policy was very different from what older customers had grown used to knowing.   Go Daddy never notified older customers about this new refund policy change.  Most companies when policies change notify present customers, so they are aware of the change.  This was a big policy change, and Go Daddy had an obligation to alert older customers of this very restrictive new refund policy.   

The sales people also conveniently forget to mention the 30 day policy. They generally ask if you agree with the Go Daddy policies.  They know you are buying a 3 year plan, but they want the sale, so they never mention that refunds can only be made if you contact customer service within 30 days.  They rely on the customer to read all the information under "Legal" and figure out which policies they have changed and modified.   

Go Daddy is NOT a customer friendly nor a reasonable company anymore.  

Go Daddy is now a public company who only looks at profit, not the customer and retaining customers.   

Try companies like Site Ground who still want to be customer friendly and will invest in their platforms and give you higher quality hosting.