Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
NewparkIT
New

Full Domain Privacy and Protection details explanation

We are in the process of transferring domains to Godaddy and I am trying to determine if there is any real benefit to Full Domain Privacy and Protection. The "product" page for it doesn't really give any details, nor do any of the KBs (https://www.godaddy.com/help/how-can-i-protect-my-domain-name-32311) or community threads that I can find. The additional WhoIs redation and private e-mail address are self explanatory. But there are two "features" that read like Marketing / Sales speech with no details I can find anywhere: "Protects against accidental expiration & malicious transfers" and "Shuts down domain hijackers". The first sounds like simply having auto-renew and domain lock turned on, the second seems like it should be a given assuming proper identity validation is in place. What additional processes / settings / safe-guards do these two "features" actually put in place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ablake
Community Team

Hey NewparkIT!

Welcome to the community. I think I can give you some details that will help explain that product a little better.

Protection against accidental expiration:

Even if you have auto-renew on, your domain could expire if you have an old card on file that's no longer valid & you don't update it in time. We give quite a bit of notice, but if the contact information on the account is also outdated, that can pose a problem too. Full Domain Privacy and Protection will give you a whole year after the domain should have expired to renew it instead of the 30 days everyone else gets.

Note: That year isn't an extra year of registration, just a holding period that kicks in should you fail to renew it. 

Protection against malicious transfers / domain hijackers:

Full Domain Privacy and Protection adds an extra layer of validation for any transaction that moves the domain out of your account, cancels it, or changes the registrant. Depending on whether you have 2 Step Authentication enabled or not, you would get a verification code to your selected 2 Step method or a One-Time Password to your registrant email any time you try to perform one of those actions. It means anyone who may to try take over your domain name wouldn't be able to complete the steps without you personally validating it. 

Benefits

It's useful for most people, but I'd say the situations where it's most applicable are:

• Businesses who rely heavily on their domain & online identity (probably most)
  • Businesses who want to protect against disgruntled high-level employees
  • People who've experienced malicious attempts at hijacking online assets before
  • People who may need to let others manage their account (there's also Delegated Access or GoDaddy Pro for that)
  • People going through a divorce (protect against an angry spouse)

I hope this helps. 

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ablake
Community Team

Hey NewparkIT!

Welcome to the community. I think I can give you some details that will help explain that product a little better.

Protection against accidental expiration:

Even if you have auto-renew on, your domain could expire if you have an old card on file that's no longer valid & you don't update it in time. We give quite a bit of notice, but if the contact information on the account is also outdated, that can pose a problem too. Full Domain Privacy and Protection will give you a whole year after the domain should have expired to renew it instead of the 30 days everyone else gets.

Note: That year isn't an extra year of registration, just a holding period that kicks in should you fail to renew it. 

Protection against malicious transfers / domain hijackers:

Full Domain Privacy and Protection adds an extra layer of validation for any transaction that moves the domain out of your account, cancels it, or changes the registrant. Depending on whether you have 2 Step Authentication enabled or not, you would get a verification code to your selected 2 Step method or a One-Time Password to your registrant email any time you try to perform one of those actions. It means anyone who may to try take over your domain name wouldn't be able to complete the steps without you personally validating it. 

Benefits

It's useful for most people, but I'd say the situations where it's most applicable are:

• Businesses who rely heavily on their domain & online identity (probably most)
  • Businesses who want to protect against disgruntled high-level employees
  • People who've experienced malicious attempts at hijacking online assets before
  • People who may need to let others manage their account (there's also Delegated Access or GoDaddy Pro for that)
  • People going through a divorce (protect against an angry spouse)

I hope this helps. 

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post