If you’re launching a website or blog for a medical clinic, GP, home health service, lab or pharmacy, you’ll need a domain name. These are the strings of letters such as MedicalSkin.com.au or RightAtHome.com.au that patients use to find you on the internet. But why should you consider a GoDaddy domain?
- GoDaddy is an auDA accredited registrar.
- You’ll have access to the world's largest pool of domain names.
- Every domain includes 24/7/365 help from pros who know domains like no one else.
A GoDaddy domain gives you an exclusive piece of digital real estate that cannot be used by anyone else as long as it’s registered to you or your practice.
See if the domain name you want is available now
Related: 8 tips on choosing a domain name
Health providers now have more options than ever
Not long ago, health care groups, research labs and medical device providers were limited in the domain extensions they could consider for their web addresses. The domain extension is the part that appears after the dot — .au, for example.
Many in the health services industry chose .com.au. Problem is, some of the best .com.au domain names have already been registered. This is a problem because only one individual or business may use a particular domain name at a time. So if someone else already owned the domain you wanted, your options were to:
- Look up the owner of the domain and offer to buy their domain
- Change your business name in order to find a .com.au domain name that was available
See if you qualify to use .gov.au for your primary web address here.
Over the last few years, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has authorised the release of hundreds of new domain extensions.
Your website naming options now include .clinic, .dental, .hospital, .rehab and dozens of other related extensions. There are still many good names to choose from, as these domain extensions haven’t been around for very long.
So if you can’t find a suitable name available in .com.au, consider one of these:
And unlike the more generic .com or .com.au, these extensions make far more descriptive web addresses. Anyone who sees yours will have a good idea of what you provide.
How to get a domain name for your clinic, practice or lab
Whether you’re a huge lab or a one-person home health service, everyone goes through the same process when choosing a domain for their website:
- Identify all the domain name extensions that are appropriate for the product or service you provide. You’ll find a complete list here.
- Decide what to put before the dot. It could be your your name, the name of your practice or your medical specialty.
- Type the domain you want into the search box above or here. Within seconds you’ll know if it’s available. We’ll also provide suggestions of available names you might not have thought of.
- Pick one, add it to your cart and check out. As long as it’s registered to you, no one else can use it for any reason.
Domain names have often been likened to street addresses. The best ones serve as your easy-to-remember address on the web. But unlike street addresses, this one never changes, no matter how many times your practice moves or adds locations.
Name your website with a GoDaddy domain
When it comes to something as important and permanent as your web address, don’t take chances. Go with the the world leader in domain registration: GoDaddy. Then use your new domain to build a great-looking website and create emails with your web address right in them. Treat your domain name as the hub of your online presence and it will serve you well for years.