• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

How to connect non-GoDaddy domain to GoCentral website?

I found the following related support article:

That's great for getting the traffic directed to the GoDaddy servers. However, how do I update my GoCentral configuration with the external domain name so GoDaddy knows to serve up my website when it gets a request for "myexternaldomain.com" or "www.myexternaldomain.com"?

14 REPLIES 14
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Re: How to connect non-GoDaddy domain to GoCentral website?

Hi @nhsilver,

Can you explain more clearly what you wish to do please?

Sure. I'm setting up a GoCentral website. For examples sake, let's call it "myexample.godaddysites.com".  After publishing the site and verifying that I like how it looks at http://myexample.godaddysites.com", I want to use a non-GoDaddy domain which I have with another registrar. Again for examples sake, let's call this non-GoDaddy domain "otherdomain.com". I want to make it so "http://otherdomain.com" displays the GoCentral website I created. The GoDaddy article I referred to shows that I need to set an A record for "otherdomain.com" to 198.71.232.3 for their East Coast server. That's easy enough to do. So now when someone enters http://otherdomain.com, it'll send the HTTP request to the GoDaddy Server. There has to be another configuration setting somewhere on the GoCentral account so it knows that "otherdomain.com" is an alternate name for "myexample.godaddysites.com".

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@nhsilver

=> Click on the Hamburger Icon when editing your GoCentral side (top left to the right of Dashboard). 

=> Click on Publish. 

=> In the drop down under My Domain choose the very last option: Add an External Domain

=> Click Next.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

New

This solution does not work.

I agree this is no a solution and this is common of GoDaddy; they sell the products but when it comes to modern integration and management, its absolutely terrible.

Employee
    Employee

Hi @nwpoa, can you give me more information on what happened when you tried this and how it did not work? I've tried it and it's working for me, but I would love to get any details you can share so I can open a bug with the development team and get this feature fixed. What did you try, and did you see an error message?

Thank you for your help!

Heidi, GoDaddy product manager

New

@hgibson,

This does not work for me, either. I've tried a number of times. There is NOT a dropdown menu that you refer to once "publish" is clicked on. I've looked under Settings, adding other pages, etc. Please help. I need to integrate another site aside from just being a link, to my GoDaddy website. 

I'm having a similar issue. 

Wix domain name. Originally with wix website builder

Now using godaddy website builder.

I added the "external domain" as www.American-Dream-Attorney.com

I have added the A name and IP address to DNS settings on WIX.

My godaddy site will then work for a while with the link www.American-Dream-Attorney.com link.

Then it will stop working and only work at American-Dream-Attorney.com or https://American-Dream-Attorney.com without the WWW in the domain name.

When I go to Godaddy website builder the "name at the top of the website builder has changed on its own to "Http://American-Dream-Attorney.com 

Therefore, when I go to change the name the option shown in the box is americandreamattorney.com without the www. 

THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH SEO and BACKLINKS that had built a reputation with Google.com 

My organic search results are all www.American-Dream-Attorney.com and the link does not work.

BIG PROBLEM!!!!!!

Please help situate this so that my links that begin with www.American-Dream-Attorney.com work and all the money spent on marketing materials does not necessitate leaving Godaddy as more is invested in the marketing materials than on the website builder.  

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@PAC the link is not after 'publish' is clicked; it's inside the editor. While you are editing your site:

1. Click on "use my domain" Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.50.35 PM.png  (you can also access this feature by clicking the "Site Settings" section in the Editor. 

2. click on "I already own a domain" on the modal that appears: 
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.52.40 PM.png

3. click on the domain selector drop down and then select "add an external domain": 

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.53.26 PM.png

4. click "next" and then follow the instructions from there 

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.54.32 PM.png

Employee
    Employee

@American_Dreams I checked with the product team and the suggestion for an external domain is to use a CNAME pointing to the main domain. You should not use another www A record pointing to the DPS IP address. This should do the trick - thank you for reaching out, I'll work to get the help article updated to include this suggestion. 

thank you!

Heidi, GoDaddy product manager

So, there is NO hanburger icon when you select "publish." I need to point my non-GoDaddy domain (which is my blog title) to my GoDaddy website. Having a very difficult time getting an answer that works.

There is no drop down menu or hanburger icon while editing my site. There is only a GoCentral icon w/ Help and Log in in the drop down icon (which is a group of boxes).

In the editing mode, if I look under Site Settings, I can choose either my existing domain or "I already have a domain," and I then selected "add external domain," which does not lead to anything---no further instructions or space to enter my other domain name. 

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@pomseniorcare

You just need to click the "next" button after selecting "Add an external domain" and then you will see a dialog to enter the external domain name. e.g.: 

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 4.41.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 4.42.31 PM.png