cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Can't upload DOCX files

I can't upload DOCX files in my LimeSurvey app, and a brief Google search shows that GoDaddy has disabled DOCX uploads for shared Linux hosting plans due to "security" issues a few months ago. This seems strange, but if it is really so, I will be looking for a new hosting provider. Unless I can enable DOCX file upload, of course... Upgrading to a more expensive plan is not a good suggestion, since this is simply blackmail; DOCX is a common and legitimate file format.

13 REPLIES 13
Employee
Employee

Re: Can't upload DOCX files

Hello @ervit!

Welcome to the community! I'm not aware of any restrictions regarding docx files. To help the community better understand your situation, can you provide more information? Which type of hosting do you have? How are you uploading? What errors are you getting?

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

I have just lost the answer I spent 20 minutes typing because of "Access denied" error upon pressing Post. This is not helping maintain the holiday spirit... Smiley Mad

Thank you for your response. I'll try to reproduce the message in full detail...

I have LimeSurvey installed on a shared Linux Economy hosting plan. (basically the cheapest one). The app allows respondents to upload files as part of their responses. I have enabled musltiple file types, but only DOCX consistently fails to upload. The uload script apparently hangs - there are no errors of any sort but I have to reload to be able to upload anything else again. This is not about FTP uploading (thought I'd set it straight).

I have found multiple references about GoDaddy disabling uploading DOCX files on shared Linux hosting plans:

LimeSurvey devs can't reproduce the problem. The posts above are all fairly recent (past few months), and I didn't have this problem earlier either. So the issue seems to be both recent and GoDaddy-specific. I'm hoping to fix this without switching hosts or upgrading to a more expensive plan.

New

I have just lost the answer I spent 20 minutes typing because of "Access denied" error upon pressing Post. This is not helping maintain the holiday spirit... Smiley Mad

Thank you for your response. I'll try to reproduce the message in full detail...

I have LimeSurvey installed on a shared Linux Economy hosting plan. (basically the cheapest one). The app allows respondents to upload files as part of their responses. I have enabled musltiple file types, but only DOCX consistently fails to upload. The uload script apparently hangs - there are no errors of any sort but I have to reload to be able to upload anything else again. This is not about FTP uploading (thought I'd set it straight).

I have found multiple references about GoDaddy disabling uploading DOCX files on shared Linux hosting plans:

LimeSurvey devs can't reproduce the problem. The posts above are all fairly recent (past few months), and I didn't have this problem earlier either. So the issue seems to be both recent and GoDaddy-specific. I'm hoping to fix this without switching hosts or upgrading to a more expensive plan.

New

This is the third time i'm trying to post this. This is horrible. Smiley Mad

New

I have posted my reply 3 times already and each time it disappears. Are links to external sites somehow not allowed?

I have my WP hosted site on GoDaddy. I am having the same problem with a plug in that allows files (PDF, doc and docx) to be uploaded and then sent to me by email). I had been having sporadic problems with certain users and learned today after calling in to GoDaddy for help that Go Daddy is no longer allowing files with extensions docx to uploaded  due to security issues. PDF and doc files are ok. I am trying to figure out if I am going to stay with their hosting or move to another provider as this is an important part of my business website. Docx is a popular file extension. 

After much time and intensive testing on several community websites I designed and mange to try to understand why docx files can not be uploaded into the document archive system, I reached the conclusion it was a server issue. The connection is dropped by the server if an attempt is made to upload a docx file via a standard html form. Then I found this thread.

Can we have a statement from goDaddy whether this is permanent issue or whether the 'docx block' will be removed at some time in the future.

I am having the same issue as well, i can upload pdf with no issue but not docx. Is there a way temporary way around this? Docx is pretty popular and majority of my clients use this.

Same issue here. I have a form on my page that will not allow users to submit docx files. They get a 'server was reset' error message. This form was used formerly in Joomla and now on Wordpress. Same issue under either platform. Graphics files, doc and pdf all work fine. Really causing headaches for both myself and the submitter.

I am having the same problem with http://writersforumonline.com . I want to allow .docx file uploads. They will be accessible only by registered, approved members. I have been working on this for MONTHS with no joy. GoDaddy denies that they are blocking this file type. I've confirmed through developers at WordPress and my forum plugin's parent company that their code is not responsible for the block. Won't somebody please address this issue?

I am having the same problem and GoDaddy customer service people either aren't aware of this or aren't telling. After much troubleshooting, I finally installed a copy of my WP site on a testing server on Bluehost and the problem disappeared, so this is a GoDaddy issue.

We are having the same issue with Wordpress uploading .docx files.  I'm looking to move away from GoDaddy because I think it's a hosting issue.  Did anyone get an answer on how to resolve?

This is a confirmed Godaddy issue.  They believe .docx is a security issue.  Massive amounts of time wasted.  Will be moving to a new host due to this.  They up and removed Ninja Forms without warning once messing up my site and this .docx issue worries me.  I just can't trust them.  Great pricing and customer service for the most part but will be happy to pay more for a more reliable host.