Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want my domain name anymore

I no longer do the business that I originally purchased my domain name for.  What do I need to do to change that name to something else?  Do I have to purchase another domain or can I just change the name of the one I already purchased?

3 REPLIES 3
justingodfrey
Rockstar II

Hi JustLisa,

You may be able to get a refund depending on how long ago you registered the domain. I would email Godaddy with your receipt number from the order confirmation for that domain. It is not possible to edit an already registered domain. You may want to register a new domain and then wait from Godaddy to hear back regarding the refund.

Hey @justlisa17@justingodfrey has told you correctly. One thing I want to add is if you are not keeping that domain make sure that it is not set to auto-renew or if you are sure-sure that you don't need it then go and cancel it in your domain control center.

What I typically tell people is to never get rid of a domain name they have associated with their business. If I spent five years (or whatever) branding ROY'S TOYS but then decided to change the business name to ROYS R US I'd still want people to find me at my old roystoys.com So I'd just forward it to whatever my new domain was. A side note to that I don't REALLY own the domain roystoys.com but I see that it is forwarded toy Roy's Hobby Shop and that is probably the advice he got when he expanded from toys to hobby? Perhaps roystoys.com was just more catchy?

If you have branded yourself well and have established a solid domain I think people will still visit, remember or refer to your old domain. At the very least maybe with the time you have left of your old domain registration put a message on it telling your visitors that you have moved to a new domain? Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

@rd wrote:

Hey @justlisa17@justingodfrey has told you correctly. One thing I want to add is if you are not keeping that domain make sure that it is not set to auto-renew or if you are sure-sure that you don't need it then go and cancel it in your domain control center.

What I typically tell people is to never get rid of a domain name they have associated with their business. If I spent five years (or whatever) branding ROY'S TOYS but then decided to change the business name to ROYS R US I'd still want people to find me at my old roystoys.com So I'd just forward it to whatever my new domain was. A side note to that I don't REALLY own the domain roystoys.com but I see that it is forwarded toy Roy's Hobby Shop and that is probably the advice he got when he expanded from toys to hobby? Perhaps roystoys.com was just more catchy?

If you have branded yourself well and have established a solid domain I think people will still visit, remember or refer to your old domain. At the very least maybe with the time you have left of your old domain registration put a message on it telling your visitors that you have moved to a new domain? Hope that helps?

Hey Roy,

You may also wanted to pick up royshobbyshop.com 😉