What is Advanced Email Security?
Your email is stored on Microsoft's secure servers, which prevent any damage while your email is at rest. However, when you send and receive messages, they can be at-risk from attackers while in transit. That's where the Advanced Email Security add-on comes in. It keeps your emails safe from ever being seen or tampered with, and helps prevent some of the common mistakes that can lead to compromises.
Note: The GoDaddy account holder must add Advanced Email Security to every email address in their organization's domain(s).
Select a question to see its answer:
- Who needs Advanced Email Security?
- How does Advanced Email Security work?
- What are Advanced Email Security's limitations?
Who needs Advanced Email Security?
Advanced Email Security includes useful tools for anyone sending or receiving emails with valuable information. The included email encryption is a critical requirement for businesses in regulated industries like financial services, insurance, health care, legal, and real estate. Say, for example, you're an attorney sending a contract to a client. If the message is sent unencrypted (in plain text), it's exposed to being intercepted or misdirected, which could present a serious issue.
How does Advanced Email Security work?
Advanced Email Security, a partnership with Proofpoint, protects your information by encoding email contents during transit. This means that if a message is intercepted or ends up in the wrong hands, unauthorized parties can't read it.
When you send an encrypted message to a recipient outside of your organization (like a customer), they'll receive a link to the message within Proofpoint. They'll then be able to create a Proofpoint account to view and respond to the message for 14 days. Recipients in your organization (like employees) don't have to sign in to Proofpoint to see the encrypted message.
In addition to encryption, the Advanced Email Security add-on also does the following:
- Scans messages for potential threats
- Guards against data loss
- Makes sure URLs in messages don't go to harmful destinations.
- Checks for malicious attachments on messages
- Quarantines messages that appear to be coming from your domain, but actually originate from outside your organization
Your Microsoft 365 inbox filters still function, you can use any email client, and messages sent within your organization behave normally, even when encrypted.
What are Advanced Email Security's limitations?
All users and domains within your organization must be included in the Advanced Email Security account.
Other limits to keep in mind:
- You can send up to 2500 outgoing messages per day, and no more than 500 messages in 10 minutes.
- The email size must be less than 100 MB.
- Attachments must be less than 150 MB (Standard) and 35 MB (Encrypted).
- You can include up 1000 recipients per message.
- Encrypted messages are stored for 14 days.
If you're sending a large number of marketing emails, you might want to consider GoDaddy Email Marketing, which would remove those emails from counting towards your limit.