Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

IIS 10 immediately forgetting my new server certificate

I followed Godaddy's instructions on installing the certificate, all steps completed without complaint.  I then successfully "Complete the Certificate Request".   and can see my certificate listed there. But if leave the server by clicking on one of my sites to go do Bindings it's not found to be used.  When I return to the server in the left "Connections" pane of IIS 10 and open "Server Certificates" the certificate that was there after the "Complete Certificate Request" is now missing from the list.

Why is it being removed? How do I solve this?

This is new certificate btw, just issued today.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLVED

I found mountains of unhelpful information googling around, and as it turns out, it's a very simple fix.

Short answer: The problem is that you let GoDaddy generate the CSR for you.

To fix your broken ssl certificate you need to:

1. go into IIS, select the server in the left pane, double click on "Server Certificates", 

2. In the right pane, "Create Certificate Request", fill in the information, and save the generated text file (this will be your CSR)

3. Go to the certificate manage in your GoDaddy control panel and select rekey certificate .

You will paste the contents of the CSR you just generated into the rekey certificate box, and (OK). Godaddy will then issue you a new certificate immediately, which you can download and install in IIS without all the mumbo-jumbo most others are talking about.

Why did this happen? What's the root of the problem?

This whole mess stems from the ease in which Godaddy allows you to select "Let Godaddy generate your certificate request" <== this is the problem.

When Godaddy generates the request, it is missing some important information which causes this whole problem. GoDaddy should update their website and caution customers about using this CSR method, and instead instruct the user to get the CSR from the machine on which the certificate will be used. 😕

Anywho, it's now working by doing what I described above. If any GoDaddy support are reading this, please add the cautionary notes I mention above.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

SOLVED

I found mountains of unhelpful information googling around, and as it turns out, it's a very simple fix.

Short answer: The problem is that you let GoDaddy generate the CSR for you.

To fix your broken ssl certificate you need to:

1. go into IIS, select the server in the left pane, double click on "Server Certificates", 

2. In the right pane, "Create Certificate Request", fill in the information, and save the generated text file (this will be your CSR)

3. Go to the certificate manage in your GoDaddy control panel and select rekey certificate .

You will paste the contents of the CSR you just generated into the rekey certificate box, and (OK). Godaddy will then issue you a new certificate immediately, which you can download and install in IIS without all the mumbo-jumbo most others are talking about.

Why did this happen? What's the root of the problem?

This whole mess stems from the ease in which Godaddy allows you to select "Let Godaddy generate your certificate request" <== this is the problem.

When Godaddy generates the request, it is missing some important information which causes this whole problem. GoDaddy should update their website and caution customers about using this CSR method, and instead instruct the user to get the CSR from the machine on which the certificate will be used. 😕

Anywho, it's now working by doing what I described above. If any GoDaddy support are reading this, please add the cautionary notes I mention above.

View solution in original post