Connect my site to a domain
By default, your site's web address is based on what you named it when first setting up Websites + Marketing — with godaddysites.com added at the end. If you want to change your website's domain (address or URL), you have three options:
- Buy a new GoDaddy domain.
- Use a GoDaddy domain you already own.
- Use an external, non-GoDaddy domain you bought from another company.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Scroll down to Websites + Marketing and select Manage next to your website or store.
- Either from your Dashboard with Websites selected, or from your Website builder, look for your site's URL.
- If you have an unused domain from GoDaddy, Use my domain appears next to your site's address. Click it and then click I already own a domain.
Note: Based on the first part of your free address, GoDaddy suggests new domains available to buy. To see more suggestions, click Search More Domains. (If you buy a new domain, use this same article to connect it to your Websites + Marketing site.)
- When the Domain Settings window appears, your free URL is automatically selected. To change it, make a selection from the My Domain menu.
- Click Save & Publish and skip to the last step. (If you want to use an external domain, see the next step.)
- To use an external domain (bought from another company), select Add an external domain from the My Domain menu, then click Next.
- Enter the external domain in the Domain Name field and click Save & Publish after you see the Looks good! message. (The message confirms your ownership of the domain.)
- Now log into your external domain provider's website and find where to change that domain's A record. (If you have any trouble, contact that domain provider for support.)
- Update the external domain's A record by entering the appropriate IP address below based on the area closest to your location.
Use Nearest Server Location Enter IP address U.S. East Coast 126.96.36.199 U.S. West Coast 188.8.131.52 Europe 184.108.40.206 Asia 220.127.116.11
- Log out from the other domain provider's site, switch back to Websites + Marketing and click Save & Publish.
- If you're switching to a GoDaddy domain, you'll usually see a Your site is live! notice after a few moments, and you can then click View Site to see your website with its new address.
Note: If you're switching to an external (non-GoDaddy) domain, it can take up to 72 hours to take effect. It might take less time, so feel free to check occasionally by re-clicking View Site.