Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
SamHobbs
Helper V

What is Off-site DNS?

What is Off-site DNS? The article Manage Off-site DNS says:

If you registered your domain name with another registrar, you can still manage its DNS records with GoDaddy by using Off-site DNS.

Most of my domains are registered elsewhere, not with GoDaddy. Most of them are hosted with GoDaddy but either I am not using Off-site DNS or I am using it without knowing it. If I have not been using it then it will help me to understand if I can benefit from it.

Is it irrelevant if the domain is registered with GoDaddy? Is it temporarily relevant if the domain is registered elsewhere but I want to transfer the domain to GoDaddy?

I think this is an example of where it would help if the GoDaddy documentation were to be improved. The documentation should have the answers to these questions.

Note that I tried to search for previous answers here but the search thinks I don't know what I am doing and changed the search to "website INS".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @SamHobbs,

I think I see where there might be some confusion. The Off-Site DNS service we offer is for managing domain names that are neither hosted or registered through our services. It's a manual service to create and manage Zone Files using our DNS management system.

If the domain is being hosted through our services, you wouldn't want to use this as it doesn't automatically setup and sync zone files to match with your hosting account. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Alex-NewPath
Helper IV

Offsite DNS is just a short cut so you can go to the other registrar to maintain records. Any domain name records (A, CNAME, MX etc) must be recorded at the host that your domain servers are pointed to. So...

domaina.com is at godaddy and uses godaddy DNS servers - maintain records at GoDaddy!

domainb.com is at HostXYZ and uses GoDaddy DNS servers - maintain records offsite at GoDaddy

domainc.com is at GoDaddy and uses HostXYZ DNS servers - maintain records offsite at HostXYZ

domaind.com is at HostXYZ and uses HostXYZ DNS servers - maintain records at HostXYZ - GoDaddy has NOTHING to do with it.

Clear?

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I am sorry, but no, that does not help. When you say "is at" I don't know if you mean registration or hosting. I am sure it is clear to you since you know which one you mean but I don't.

Apologies when I saw "is at" I mean the domain registrar.. I rattled that off too quickly. So let me try again

domaina.com is register and renews at godaddy and uses godaddy DNS servers - maintain domain records at GoDaddy

domainb.com is registered and renewed at HostXYZ and has GoDaddy DNS servers configured - add the domain to GoDaddy and configuring domain records in the GD control panel

domainc.com is registered and renewed at GoDaddy and has HostXYZ DNS servers configured - maintain domain records "offsite" at HostXYZ (this is the reverse of the domainb.com scenario)

domaind.com is registered and renewed at HostXYZ and has HostXYZ DNS configured - maintain domain records at HostXYZ - GoDaddy has NOTHING to do with domaind.com.

This is an option with every domain ever registered and with any host who maintains DNS servers -- you are maintaining the DNS records with a DNS server so the host you're pointing to in the DNS records is where you maintain the specific domain records.

Domain Name Server (DNS) is the ip address/domain name attached to a domain. There can be 1-5 DNS servers set per domain. The primary and alternate ones are used when resolving domain records under a domain.

The domain records are A records, CNAME, MX and various other records like TXT and SPF.

Is that better?

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I am not sure I understand what "GoDaddy DNS servers configured" means.

I initially had Windows Classic shared hosting. When that was converted to Windows Plesk shared hosting, GoDaddy created zone files for my domains. My domains are registered with Google. In Google, I specify the nameservers for GoDaddy but all the other DNS configuration is in the GoDaddy zone files.

As far as I know, all that is done without Off-Site DNS so it is still not clear what Off-Site DNS does.

Hey @SamHobbs,

I think I see where there might be some confusion. The Off-Site DNS service we offer is for managing domain names that are neither hosted or registered through our services. It's a manual service to create and manage Zone Files using our DNS management system.

If the domain is being hosted through our services, you wouldn't want to use this as it doesn't automatically setup and sync zone files to match with your hosting account. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Thank you. That is clear enough. It would help for the official GoDaddy description to be this clear.

So, does this mean that since Godaddy is my registrar but my host is hostgator now and I wish to change is from the previous Host ipower.com that go daddy can do this for me. Or can I just fill some boxes out on a page for this specific thig?  I purchased hosting with hostgator and it was being hosted by ipowerweb.com so they are still the name server. how do I change this to point to host gator.