About .us Domains
The .us country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) is an extension that represents the United States.
Domain names can be up to 63 characters, with a minimum of three characters, and can contain letters (a to z), numbers (0 to 9), and hyphens (except at the beginning or end of the domain name). You cannot register domain names with special characters such as & and #.
|Who can register?||Details below1|
|Registration length||1 - 10 years|
|Renewal length||1 - 10 years|
|Renewal restrictions||Details below2|
|Transfers to GoDaddy||Supported|
|Private registration||Not supported|
|Protected registration||Not supported|
|Expiration/redemption||Please contact customer support|
|Refund policy||See below3|
1 Registration requirements
The U.S. Nexus Requirement ensures that only individuals or organizations that have a substantive connection to the United States can register .us domain names. To qualify for a .us domain name, you must be meet one of the 3 below requirements :
- A natural person (i) who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories, or (ii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions.
- An entity or organization that is (i) incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or (ii) organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, or any of its possessions or territories.
- An entity or organization (domestic or foreign, including a federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United States. Bona fide presence in the United States means having real and substantial lawful connections with, or lawful activities in, the United States. This requirement is intended to ensure that only those individuals or organizations that have a substantive lawful connection to the United States are permitted to register for .us domain names.
2 Renewal restrictions
Your .us domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted on the first day of the month prior to the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal on the 10th of the month and again on the 20th of the month.
If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 20th of the month prior to the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
For example: Your .us domain name expires on October 10. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by September 20. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on September 1, September 10, and September 20.
3 Refund policy
For details on refunds, please visit GoDaddy's Refund Policy page.Most domains will follow the Standard Terms, but certain domains will have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Look under BOTH of the following categories:
- Products with Special Refund Terms (look under Domain Name Registrations/Renewals)
- Products Not Eligible for Refunds