Set up HIPAA compliant email
HIPAA requires health care providers to ensure that their business associates will safeguard electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI). You must have a Business Premium Office 365 account to set up HIPAA compliant email.
- In your Office 365 account, click Add-Ons in the top header.
- Next to HIPAA compliant email, click Get started.
Note: If you see a phone number instead of a Get started button, please call 480-463-8843 to find out how to enable HIPAA compliant email.
- Click the box next to I agree to the Office 365 HIPAA Business Associate Agreement.
- Enter your contact details. These are required by Microsoft so they can contact all customers in the very unlikely event of a data breach.
Field Enter Contact name Your name Contact email Your email address. This does not have to be your Office 365 email address, but it can be. Contact phone Your phone number
- Click Accept & send.
Congrats! Your Office 365 email is now HIPAA compliant. You can read and save the HIPAA agreement you signed, or cancel your HIPAA agreement, at any time.
Note After signing the Business Associate Agreement (BAA), the mailboxes that you add, are automatically HIPAA-compliant.
- Using the encryption feature of the Advance Email Security Add-on
- Archive email using an add-on
- Use our checklist for setting up your O365 Premium Security plan
- Use our checklist for setting up your O365 Business Premium plan