cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Initial load very slow!

Hi everyone, I need some help with my website.

The initial load is really really slow, after that, it works perfect! When the website is not accessed by anyone during a long period (I'd say more than 20/30 minutes), the next load takes like 12 seconds... I thought that was Wordpress, but I uninstalled it and created just an index.php page with a Hello World and the problem persisted.

Now I've installed again, it's like the 4th time I do that and I still have the same issue. Again, after a period of inactivity the website takes a lot of time to load, after that load, is really fast ( less than 1 second ).

Currently there is only a temp page... working on the back end.

I called the tech support more than 5 times and they said that everything works great..

Using a linuxHosting ( the shared one ), with a basic hosting plan. 

The url is: infanos.com

Thank you in advance.

26 REPLIES 26
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Initial load very slow!

That's how it is with web hosting.  Shred resources. 

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @estebanddy,

the reason it's very fast after it's uploaded once, is because it's remembered in your cache. To everyone new though, it would be slow unfortunately. 

There are some good tips for speeding up a Wordpress site, but probably the worst tip is to add yet another plugin. 

@Anonymous</a>, no because I've disabled the cache, opened a private window, different browsers, different networks, and different ISPs... and it's always like that. the first load is slow!

The site has a slow initial load, and as I said before I uninstalled Wordpress and left just one page with a hello world! and the problem persisted!

The problem is from Godaddy... and I don't know what to do,

The worst part is that I tried the same website in a different hosting and everything worked perfect. Obviously, I can't move the site now...

Any of them want to help me. 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@estebanddy, server side caching? 

Maybe, but how can I solve it? what is the best way to do it properly?!?

Thanks!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You Hi @estebanddy,

the only way to see what's going on here is probably by studying your log files. Looking for errors and any other clues to what's slowing things up. 

Another perfecty acceptable procedure is to temporary disable one plugin at a time and try and isolate the culprit, if indeed it is a plugin at fault. 

You did say you just limited your site to just one page. When you did so, did you still have your usual plugins active but just not used?

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@Anonymous</a>,

I think he removed WP all in all and only left hello world test file so no plugins to disable there.

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@estebanddy,

What kind of host do you have?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Hi @JHasselbring,

yes just got back from 22 mile cycle ride, just edited my post. I'm not the best person to ask about Wordpress, but there is something not right here. 

My first stop would be the logs. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @estebanddy@JHasselbring,

someone else having slowness problems @bendsc

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@estebanddy,

Sorry, I just realized that you already told us what kind of hosting you have...12 second load is a heck of a long time even for a basic Linux hosting plan.

Solution

yes, you are totally right.. you know I've removed Wordpress and started over without it, just a simple index.php file and I had the same problem. 

Solution

unfortunately, the logs don't say much... and the website doesn't have any errors either. last week was only an index.php page with a Hello World!.... 

in my opinion, godaddy put into sleep my website when is idle.. or something like that!

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@estebanddy

No, that's not possible without putting the entire host down.  

Solution

I'm having the same problem.... after a few minutes or so of idle time, the next load takes quite a while, and then after that its fine.  I'm on Windows hosting.

New
Solution

5 minute idle. You could potentially use a small computer (like a raspberry pi) and keep your site refreshing on a 4 minute cycle using a chromium plug-in and just plug it in and forget it. a $5 pi zero would be great for that type of task. That way your site never goes idle for more than 5 minutes. I'm not sure how much go daddy would like it, but it works. the biggest problem with that is the potential to trigger a ddos warning, but one refresh every 5 minutes should be pretty safe unless you've changed some settings.

The only reason I know this is because I was going through the same thing and found the 5 minutes to idle (which you apparently cannot change) and tried this experiment myself. I then pulled up the notoriously slow site in an incognito window on someone else's phone (who had never visited the site) and it loaded instantly, save on larger photo which took about 1.5 seconds longer than the rest of the page.

I'm trying to find another solution to this problem as I have 3 of my 5 sites just creeping along on first load after 5 minute idle. maybe just embed some content that reloads every 4 minutes or so in a hidden <div> and leave the site up on a pc (or raspberry pi) somewhere so the site isn't idle, but i'm also not contributing to over taxing the server.

Solution

I have run into the same problem - initial load times are very slow if the site has been idle, but subsequent load times are much faster.  I have a simple WP-based landing page (www.smartagenda.io) on a basic hosting plan.

I called GoDaddy support, who told me the load times are within their norms.  However, they suggested I try two tools to measure performance: gtmetrix and webpagetest.

I found that the initial load time averaged a little over 4 secs and subsequent load times averaged around 2 secs or less.  (Webpagetest is particularly helpful b/c it conducts multiple runs per test).

I don't like the idea of setting up a system to ping the website (for the reasons already stated), so I am also looking for a solution.  If I can't find one, I may switch to another hosting provider.

Helper II
Solution

When first load time is slow after site has been idle, this suggests your PHP Opcache isn't primed.

Looking at your site, running running on a Kitchen Sink Server (many sites on one machine).

This means your site speed will always be dependent on what shared resources are available to your site, based on other site's traffic.

If another site has high traffic, then your site will suffer.

Also another likely cause of first visit being slow might be because other sites are active + all data related to your site is flushed out of cache memory - disk/database i/o file buffers - which means physical disk i/o has to be done to refresh cache.

If your site's generating substantial cashflow, consider moving to dedicated server hosting, so your i/o cache is always fresh.

My website taking too much time to load.I need a solution.

Hello,
I have an e-commerce website. Which I have designed a few days ago but it keeps loading when I try to view my website. It will be bad for my customers. Please help, how to solve the problem.

Hi,

I am having the exact issue with Windows hosting.  I clocked that every 15 minutes of idle the delay starts.  Did you move to another provider?  Did it solve the problem?

New

@JHasselbring wrote:

@estebanddy,

Sorry, I just realized that you already told us what kind of hosting you have...12 second load is a heck of a long time even for a basic Linux hosting plan.

Hi JHasselbring, To @estebanddy you wrote: "12 second load is a heck of a long time even for a basic Linux hosting plan."  Yes, I agree.  I have an ultimate Linux hosting plan, with my 1 website and my 13 domain names (of which 3 DN transferred from GoDaddy.com to NameCheap.com) and with my several web pages. For the past circa 7 days from Thursday, 5 October, to [today] Thursday, 12 October, 1 of my several web pages has taken circa 5 minutes (!) to load.  I have GoDaddy.com Web Hosting 'Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel'.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Monti,

....5 minutes?....... 

Tumbleweed.gif

I have run into the same problem - initial load times are very slow if the site has been idle, but subsequent load times are much faster.  I have a simple WP-based landing page (www.softnetsolutions.co.ke) on a basic hosting plan.

I called GoDaddy support, who told me the load times are within their norms.  However, they suggested I try two tools to measure performance: gtmetrix and webpagetest.

I found that the initial load time averaged a little over 4 secs and subsequent load times averaged around 2 secs or less.  (Webpagetest is particularly helpful b/c it conducts multiple runs per test).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kogweno,

its all very well knowing your load times are slow with gimmicky tool, but it's a solution you need, not confirmation. 

The simple common denominator is shared hosting and resource intensive CMS. I have a server, my site is >>>>>>>>>FAST> But it would be less so with 2,000 sites on my server all being accessed at the same time. It's just simple math..........

Re: My website taking too much time to load.I need a solution.

I aslo have an e-commerce website, which but it seem slow i dont know why, here is my website. Sofnet Solutions Ltd
New

my wordpress site,hosted in GoDaddy takes much time in loading.(http://www.azampms.com/azampms/)  

I try to contact the support team but they are not attending the phone call.?