cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

New domain, switching from Office 365, to gmail

Just bought a new domain and added an e-mail.  Bad news is it comes with Office 365 which is a disaster, so I'm trying to set it up using an existing Gmail account I have.  When I go to add the account, it automatically populates to POP server mail-dot-nameofdomain-dot-com (I have no other choice).  It also automatically creates the POP server string as mail-dot-nameofdomain-dot-com and Port 110.  I've changed it to 995 - doesn't work.  I've changed it from mail to email-dot-nameofdomain-dot-com - doesn't work.  Error message says: 

Server returned error: "We were unable to locate the other domain. Please contact your other provider."

Can anyone provide details on how to add this to a Gmail account with the proper routing and port numbers?  And why is it not recognizing the domain?  Is there a waiting period for the registrations?  Also, with the piece of junk O365 is, I can't even log into the account. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@teeemdee 

So you just want to forward your email you@yourdomain.com to your gmail account??

I did a quick Google Search for Free Email Forwarding - https://improvmx.com/ is one that came up - I've never used this service so I can't speak to it

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User 2020

@teeemdee 

If I understand what you are trying to do.... You'd like to use your gmail account (something@gmail.com) to "Send As" something@domain.com

Assuming that this is correct, you need to have an actual mailbox or forward setup. Google has what was previously known as Google Suite (paid) if you would like to have google power your domain based email.

I've seen others post as doing the send as way around paying for Google Hosted Email - I will tell you as a web developer and someone who helps clients with email newsletters, I do not recommend this as it can make it look like you are spamming or trying to hide the true sender.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thanks, but no, that isn't what I was asking.  I just want to use the Gmail account.  Doesn't matter if it shows as mydomain.com going in or out.  I'm just trying to avoid O365.

@teeemdee 

So you just want to forward your email you@yourdomain.com to your gmail account??

I did a quick Google Search for Free Email Forwarding - https://improvmx.com/ is one that came up - I've never used this service so I can't speak to it

View solution in original post