cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSL installed via cPanel; IMAP and POP shows *.secureserver.net cert

I recently paid for and installed a 3rd party ssl cert for my domain and sub-domains. The cert appears to be installed correctly as shown in cPanel's SSL status. Specially, it shows that the sub-domain "mail.mydomain.org' is secured.

However, when I configure email clients via imap, the SSL cert presented to email clients is *NOT* the one installed in my cPanel dashboard but rather GoDaddy's generic *.godaddyprodservername.secureserver.net. 

I get a hostname mismatch (between my domain) and the certificate presented (from Godaddy), and thus the cert has to be manually trusted when setting up email.

My question is how can I get my imap and pop3 connections to use the cert I manually installed in cPanel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Re: SSL installed via cPanel; IMAP and POP shows *.secureserver.net cert

hi there,

1. Yes, I am using mail.mydomain.com for IMAP and SMTP with the appropriate TLS port numbers (993 imap, 465 smtp)

2. am able to browse to webmail, and it lets me log in. Webmail is properly secured using https with my ssl cert.

I just spent 90 minutes with support/chat and they confirmed a custom ssl cert can not be used to secure imap/smtp. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II

@sbjordal 

While this may seem like an obvious question - are you using mail.yourdomain.com for the imap/smtp servers - also if you browse to mail.yourdomain.com/webmail do you get the webmail login?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Solution

hi there,

1. Yes, I am using mail.mydomain.com for IMAP and SMTP with the appropriate TLS port numbers (993 imap, 465 smtp)

2. am able to browse to webmail, and it lets me log in. Webmail is properly secured using https with my ssl cert.

I just spent 90 minutes with support/chat and they confirmed a custom ssl cert can not be used to secure imap/smtp. 

View solution in original post

Super User II
Super User II

@sbjordal 

Thank you for coming back with the additional details.

Apparently this is a limitation of cPanel  / WHM

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/ssl-certificate-per-domain-on-all-services

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community