• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Can't SSH Into Hosting

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so if it isn't, please move it. I can't get into my hosting server with SSH, I have enabled SSH and everything. I get this when I try to get into it: http://i.imgur.com/xLMGYNj.png

Thanks in advance,
    averysumner

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Community Manager

There are two ways to connect to SSH on most hosting environments; the low tech way which is to use a SSH program (example Putty). Typically this requires host (normally the IP address). When prompted, type in credentials, user and password. This should allow you to start using SSH. 

Second option, creating a public key and private key pair and importing into your SSH client program.
    Typically this requires access using environment panel (if supported) to upload a private key. Then setting the server to use said key. This is something you can configure to remember your user name and password when you connect using your SSH client. It mostly makes sense for someone where password prompts are troublesome. 

Both are valid options however as with all tech, some experience required.

For server administration; when ever a server has a service stop, the first thing to look into is the error logs, rebooting services. Generally, the first thing to disable MYSQL service is lack of resources/ specifically memory. This might indicate need for a bigger server if possible. SSH connectivity shouldn't normally have a factor on MYSQL. The one thing that SSH should allow you to do is enable or look at error reporting.

Hope this points you in the right direction!

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
    Helper IV

Hi @averysumner!  It looks like you might need to set up the public and private keys in order to SSH into your account. This article might help you: https://www.webhostinghero.com/create-ssh-putty-key-cpanel/

Cheers!

Doc

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
    Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff

Okay, I'll try that.

I get the same error when using an SSH key.

It sounds like it's time to contact GoDaddy tech support. They should be able to figure it out.

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
    Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff

Did you figure it out? I'm so sick of PuTTY errors. I can SSH using password authentication but can't get the keys to work.

.....................................................................................
    Domainer, Web Developer, JohnNapoletano.com

I have the private key generated and using putty. Putty asks for username and I write my cpanel username and it gives this error: 
    server refused our key
    I have also tried using the special ftp account or a completely wrong username, putty still gives same message: 
    server refused our key

@averysumner wrote:

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so if it isn't, please move it. I can't get into my hosting server with SSH, I have enabled SSH and everything. I get this when I try to get into it: http://i.imgur.com/xLMGYNj.png

Thanks in advance,
    averysumner

Did you resolve this?

I'm having the exact same issue.

You don't need keys to use ssh. But according to GoDaddy support, you have to use your Special FTP Account.

If it's still not working then you need to call and make sure your IP isn't blocked because it will block you after so many failed attempts.

And if you don't know the passowrd to your Special FTP account then you can reset it from the hosting page: Settings > Password

Here is the deal. I have a dedicated server with GoDaddy. Suddenly, the MySQL stopped. I can't get it restarted on WHM. Every post and thread out there preaches about SSH. 

Here is the message:

Waiting for “mysql” to start ……[2017-10-21 22:14:07 -0400] warn [restartsrv_mysql] The system encountered an error while starting the “mysql” service with the command “/etc/init.d/mysql start”: The subprocess reported error number 1 when it ended. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ServiceManager/Base.pm line 1358. Cpanel::ServiceManager::Base::warn(Cpanel::ServiceManager::Services::Mysql=HASH(0x15a83d8), "The system encountered an error while starting the \x{e2}\x{80}\x{9c}mysql\x{e2}\x{80}"...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ServiceManager/Manager/Initd.pm line 103

I'm trying to fix this error:

Can't connect to local MySQL server 
    through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

Onward. Whether it's a YouTube video, a GoDaddy thread, or a help article, nothing, and I mean nothing works for SSH. First it's, generate a key, then just ssh@ipaddress right into your server. Nope, doesn't work.

Next, it's generate a public and private key, download those to your ~/.ssh folder, then connect. Nope, another bunk suggestion, permission denied. Every single article on GoDaddy support, YouTube videos, or help articles does not work.

So, I'm going to try something different to get somebody's attention who knows what they are doing. I've got $500 USD right now for anybody that can get my SSH working, get the MySQL server fired up and running, and get my DB going again. 

And I don't wanna hear some long, I.T. jockey pontification about public and private keys, and root access. Because none of it works. $500 USD, right now, for somebody that can get this thing working.

Community Manager

There are two ways to connect to SSH on most hosting environments; the low tech way which is to use a SSH program (example Putty). Typically this requires host (normally the IP address). When prompted, type in credentials, user and password. This should allow you to start using SSH. 

Second option, creating a public key and private key pair and importing into your SSH client program.
    Typically this requires access using environment panel (if supported) to upload a private key. Then setting the server to use said key. This is something you can configure to remember your user name and password when you connect using your SSH client. It mostly makes sense for someone where password prompts are troublesome. 

Both are valid options however as with all tech, some experience required.

For server administration; when ever a server has a service stop, the first thing to look into is the error logs, rebooting services. Generally, the first thing to disable MYSQL service is lack of resources/ specifically memory. This might indicate need for a bigger server if possible. SSH connectivity shouldn't normally have a factor on MYSQL. The one thing that SSH should allow you to do is enable or look at error reporting.

Hope this points you in the right direction!

RachelM - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post