cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Hosting - problem with sending email via wordpress site

Hi Community,

I'm new here and I'm sure this question is asked a lot, but I'm having problems sending a message from my wordpress via a contact form to an email address. Now from my research and attempts to solve it myself I thought its now best to ask the experts, from what I can gather GoDaddy doesn't like emails to be sent on their servers?

I've tried Easy WP smtp plugin to solve the problem with no luck.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks

Dave Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Hosting - problem with sending email via wordpress site

Hello @ecommerceNEWBIE and welcome. You have what is a fairly common question with not such a common answer but to say

@ecommerceNEWBIE wrote:

GoDaddy doesn't like emails to be sent on their servers?

Because is a bit of a stretch. GoDaddy has products expressly designed to receive emails and with the correct setting there shouldn't be much of an issue. With regard to contact forms, it really depends on what kind of contact form and the security it contains. If you are talking about what is a form with no security it is likely to receive a lot of SPAM and therefore you should not expect to receive any legitimate messages.

Typically when working with Workspace or cPanel email I create one account specifically to receive messages from contact forms without any SPAM filters just to guarantee all messages come in. That method of course gives me many emails to sort through. What I suggest for contact forms on WordPress is a form that saves the received data to your WordPress database. You can of course get your contact form messages emailed to you for your convenience but having the contact form submissions in your WordPress and checking them periodically is good as well.

There are many opinions on which contact form plugins are best but you could try Pirate Forms, Fast Secure Contact For, wpforms, Ninja Forms, Contact Form 7, JetPack, Gravity Forms, Formidable... I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hi Roy,

Thank you for your response!

I have setup an info@ email in cpanel > email and the form I have on my wordpress is Ninja Forms, I also have Easy WP SMTP plugin to help send the emails. When I test on site it says it has sent successfully but in my email account nothing has come through and I'm baffled now. I read somewhere GoDaddy blocks smtp ports but I'm not sure this is true?

Dave

Super User I

Yes, GoDaddy probably does block certain ports? I would guess that GoDaddy does all that it can to prevent SPAM and blocking some things would be part of that. Have you considered having the contact form messages sent to multiple addresses? Maybe even something like GMail in addition to your GoDaddy hosted domain address?

I have found that almost by default GMail does a really good job with SPAM and since it is a contact form the email address would not be seen by a visitor. You can still strip any filters from your cPanel info@ account but adding another email will give you a backup. At the very least an additional email address will give you some insight and backup?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Hi, 

I have this problem too (not receiving Contact Form 7 notifications to my Gmail adress), I thought the problem came from the plugin itself but I can't receive anymore password notifications related to my Wordpress installation (when adding a new user for instance).

I've tried Easy WP SMTP but it does not work.

I absolutely don't want to create a GoDaddy email for each of my websites. It used to work very good 2 or 3 months ago. 

What can I do ? 

Thanks a lot.

Super User I

I may be the only one that prefers a completely clean mailbox? If I were you @croissance I may just keep all of the data from the contact form in my WordPress database and not have it sent out at all? Additionally you could follow what I advised above. I have not heard of Easy WP SMTP but it seems like a long way around when most contact forms can send emails natively?

You don't need to create a separate GoDaddy email address for every website or contact form. What I would do in that case is just create a CATCHALL something like info@yourdomain.com and just use put in websiteone@yourdomain.com, websitetwo@yourdomain.com for the contact form and those would just all go to your catchall info domain.

One thing I want to mention is that CATCHALL usually does just that so you may get more than your share of SPAM but it usually accepts all messages from most sources. Hope that helps @croissance, come back and let us know how it all worked out.

New
Solution

Looks like this is common issue though, one solution found by adjusting the MX records - http://mosaikweb.com/contact-form-7-and-godaddy-email-not-working/

However I suspect that you might be able to keep localhost smtp settings and adjust the mail server using a plugin like postman SMTP setup or the like

perfect answer. took a quick moment and bam, things are working.

Hello,

Which answer was it that worked for you? The MX records or the postman plugin?

@miketraenkner wrote:

perfect answer. took a quick moment and bam, things are working.

This.

Even though our mail and DNS are hosted off GoDaddy, you have to tell the GoDaddy servers that mail is on a "Remote Mail Exchanger"