About .nl Domains
sidn.nl is the sponsor and Hexonet is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .nl extensions that represents The Netherlands.
Who can register .nl domains?
Anyone can register a .nl domain.
When registering a .nl domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3-63 characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- You can renew .nl domain names when they are within six months of the expiration date, but you must renew them before their expiration dates. The renewal date depends on whether you set the domain name to auto-renew or manually renew. We attempt auto-renewal on the 1st day of the month prior to the domain name's expiration date.
- If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal on the 10th of the month and again on the 20th of the month. If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 20th of the month prior to the expiration date, you can attempt to recover it. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .nl domain name expires on October 10. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by September 20. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on September 6, September 13, and September 20.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- When a .nl domain is transferred, any registration period longer than 1 year does not carry over to the new registrar.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- To transfer your .nl domain to another registrar, the domain does not need to be unlocked. You must submit the transfer with the gaining registrar, who will require the registrant to provide an authorization code. Please contact contact our GoDaddy Guides for help.
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- When you move a .nl domain to another account you cannot change the registrant's first name, last name, or organization. Please choose the "do not change" option for the contact information during the account change process.
- Basic privacy protection: Supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Supported
- CashParking: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers, Authoritative Nameservers, Unique IP Addresses
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6
- Cannot use: DNSSEC
RefundsFor details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .nl domain names, please reach out to our GoDaddy Guides for help.