Configure my backups
Your Website Backups must be configured to connect with your hosting account to work correctly. Please be aware that if you change hosting company or hosting servers you may need to reconfigure your Website Backups.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Under Website Security and Backups, next to the account you want to configure, select Set up to setup an account for the first time or select Manage to configure an existing account.
- Open Backups settings.
- If you have only one domain, select Backups and then select Settings.
- If you have multiple domains, select Backups, select for the domain you want to configure and then select Website Details.
- cPanel customers: Find my FTP username for Linux Hosting
- Plesk customers: Find your FTP login or username for Plesk hosting
- Managed WordPress/ Professional Web Services (PWS) customers: use SFTP instead. See Upload files with SFTP and use steps 1-5 to find your SFTP information.
- Connection - SFTP
- FTP Hostname - your domain
- FTP Port – 22
- FTP Directory -
with the FTP Username)
Note: An FTP user will be created within your hosting beginning with "SEC_". Do not remove this user as it is how backups will be created.
- Auto Detect (WordPress, Joomla, vBulletin, Magento, Drupal) – Select if you are using a content management system (CMS). We will try to identify which CMS you are using and backup it’s files. This is the best option for most sites.
- No Database Used – Select if you have a site that does not use databases.
- Cron Job or Scheduled Task Setup – This is only used when a database is too large to export via php script or times out when exporting via direct MySQL connection. It requires your server to have a Cron Job or Scheduled Task configured.
- Manual Setup - Manual Setup is used when the Auto-detect doesn't pick up the database connection information and the connection needs to be setup manually. Select Manual Setup, select Add New Database, enter the information for your database and then select Save.
Your first backup should complete within a few hours. Large sites can take considerably longer. You'll receive an email notification when the backup is complete.