Editor’s note: This post was originally published on May 8, 2017 and updated on November 14, 2018.
Keeping your work and personal life separate is difficult when you run a small business. As the go-to problem solver, you probably get a lot of calls off-hours, which, needless to say, can get pretty frustrating. And sometimes, a little embarrassing.
Separate your work and personal calls by adding a business line to your personal smartphone
Modern smartphones can easily accommodate multiple phone numbers.
Adding a business line to your mobile phone:
- Gives you the flexibility of working from anywhere.
- Limits when you give out your personal phone number.
- Allows you see who is calling and lets you screen calls.
Factors to consider when adding a business line
Of course, you’ve always got choices — from free business phone services to VoIP systems. If you’re looking to add a business line, factors you’ll want to consider as you weigh your options include:
- Cost. Just don’t sacrifice quality of service for price.
- Features. Do you need caller ID? Business hours? Voicemail transcription? Auto attendant?
- Ease of use. You’re busy. How much time do you want to spend figuring out how to install and use a second business line?
- Domestic vs. international. Do you need to make international calls?
- Land line. Do you also need to add a business line to a landline?
- Technical support. Is quality support available 24/7 if you need help?
One mobile phone, two numbers
By adding a business line to your smartphone, you can keep your personal calls and business calls separate — without having to buy a new device. It’s a quick, affordable way to up the professional ante for your business.
There are different ways to add a business line to your Android or iOS phone, including GoDaddy’s SmartLine. SmartLine is a second phone number that rings on your existing mobile phone. One phone, two numbers.
SmartLine gives you a hassle-free way to separate your business life from your personal life.
The many benefits of adding a business line via SmartLine include:
- Instantly know if a call is business or personal.
- Keep your personal number private.
- Read your voicemail and prioritize your responses.