• Buying & Selling Domains
  • Buying & Selling Domains

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    lolapeet
    New

Can I legally buy a domain with the intention of selling it?

I have heard that buying and selling domain names is a fast way to earn money, and I'm currently purchasing a domain name from this site, however I just not entirely sure if I am legally allowed to? I do have an ABN as I am a registered sole trader, however the domain name I am buying has no connection to my business and is being bought with the sole purpose of reselling it for a profit. When the Registration Information page asks 'this domain is closely and substantially connected to my organisation or activities undertaken by my organisation.' can I get into legal trouble for claiming it does when it doesn't?

1 REPLY 1
    JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @lolapeet. Thanks for being part of the GoDaddy Community! Unfortunately, this forum isn't the correct place to request legal advice. That should always come from an attorney. I can say that there are people who invest in and sell domain registrations for profit, but we can't really comment on the legality of any domain registration.

I believe what you are likely most concerned about is whether or not you would be "domain squatting". This GoDaddy Blog article may help address some of your concerns. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.