cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Difficulty registering an .es domain

Today I purchased two domain names, one was .com and the other .es

My .com domain appears in my account but the .es does not. I have been charged for both but when I search GoDaddy for the .es, it appears as available for registration...

Can somebody help me understand why the .es TLD is such a pain?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Difficulty registering an .es domain

Hi @TweedNelson. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

It's difficult to say for sure what happened. If you're sure the domain was in your shopping cart when you checked out, it's possible the registration failed. This can happen occasionally. If for some reason the registration failed, you should automatically be refunded.

With .ES domains, there are specific compliance requirements that need to be met. These are put in place by the .ES registry. For more information, please see About .ES Domains and About .ES Domains Compliance. If you'd like more specific information on your situation, I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team. If you get things figured out, please follow up on this post. Others may be able to benefit from your experience!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted

Hi @JesseW,

Thanks for your reply. I have received an email this morning saying that the .es domain has been removed from my account. I have not, however, received a refund...

Any ideas when I can expect this to happen? I'm guessing that the domain is essentially impossible to purchase?

Thanks and kind regards...

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TweedNelson - In some cases when a refund occurs soon after a purchase, it sometimes acts to void out the original transaction. If that happens, neither the charge or the refund will appear on your bank statement. If you're seeing the charge and it's not pending, then a refund will usually appear within 7 days from when it was issued. 

As for registering .ES domains, it should be possible if the domain appears as available. You may want to reach out to our support team so they can look at the details regarding why the registration failed. That should give you an idea of what may need to change to get the registration to go through. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted

@JesseW - In order to purchase the domain in the first place, I had to provide the "CIF" number of a registered Spanish business. I reached out to GoDaddy support and to be honest, they didn't seem to know why it was so difficult either. I'll wait until I get my refund before trying again.

Thanks so much for your help!

Highlighted

@JesseW I have received an email asking me to choose which answer solved my question. The thing is, I still don't own the domain I was trying to purchase and, although I have been refunded, I don't seem to be able to get any help. I keep being directed to the "About .es domains" article which I have read about 4 times. This doesn't help me as I have done everything it says.

What do I do next?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TweedNelson - I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to get the domain registered. Support should definitely have access to see what went wrong. I wouldn't be able to post that kind of information here on a public forum. I'd suggest trying again. The most likely cause of failed registrations like this is a typo in identifying information.