cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Spam emails after domain registration

Can you please explain to me how after registering a domain through GoDaddy 5 days ago I have received 30+ emails offering services.

Whatever the case is as to how these people get my mail and know I've registered a domain there are 2 cases where GoDaddy MUST be falling short and I mean legally with data privacy.

1. GoDaddy are selling our data to freelancers giving them mailing list notifications of new registers.

2. There is a security hole where people are able to access through API or wherever this data and third partys are doing number 1 above.

Whichever one of these 2 possibilities are the case GODADDY ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM and need to fix it ASAP. 

I registered on ie.godaddy.com so at the very least the transaction fell under new EU NGRP laws.

Please respond/rectify before I take this onto any consumer affairs entity.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Spam emails after domain registration

@Conoroc wrote:

Can you please explain to me how after registering a domain through GoDaddy 5 days ago I have received 30+ emails offering services.

Whatever the case is as to how these people get my mail and know I've registered a domain there are 2 cases where GoDaddy MUST be falling short and I mean legally with data privacy.

1. GoDaddy are selling our data to freelancers giving them mailing list notifications of new registers.

2. There is a security hole where people are able to access through API or wherever this data and third partys are doing number 1 above.

Whichever one of these 2 possibilities are the case GODADDY ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM and need to fix it ASAP. 

I registered on ie.godaddy.com so at the very least the transaction fell under new EU NGRP laws.

Please respond/rectify before I take this onto any consumer affairs entity.

@Conoroc Hi there. I agree, the spam calls and emails can be overwhelming but per ICANN policy the whois information (registrant information) is public. Spammers harvest this data for their benefit. It really has nothing to do with Godaddy. The whois information is public per ICANN.

----

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I

Thanks @justingodfrey I will dig in a bit more. If I had some default privacy settings turned on I can understand but there needs to be more transparency on this Whois data. I have never had my data shared so blatantly like this before without my knowledge.

Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@Conoroc wrote:

Thanks @justingodfrey I will dig in a bit more. If I had some default privacy settings turned on I can understand but there needs to be more transparency on this Whois data. I have never had my data shared so blatantly like this before without my knowledge.

@Conoroc you're informed that the registrants information will be public when you register a domain name and agree to the TOS. There's really nothing much Godaddy can do about it unless you purchase privacy.

----

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I