Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Retired
Not applicable

Transferring from GoDaddy to Microsoft 365

Happy Holidays! I would like to know what is the process in transferring a domain from GoDaddy to Microsoft 365 Business subscription. I have read the other postings on this subject, but I am still unclear.

My GoDaddy domain has the DNS records provided by Microsoft 365 to function within Microsoft 365. I have no GoDaddy-Office 365 services linked to this domain. However, I wish to now transfer the domain in its entity, so that I can manage the domain in Microsoft 365.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. --George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Retired,

Yes, Wild West Domains is the umbrella for GoDaddy resellers. You can set up an account and transfer the domain to the GoDaddy reseller, but the management of the domain will be the same. 

Having not contracted my email through Microsoft, I'm not familiar with their process and any administrative delegate access they may be requesting. You can contact WWD support at 480-624-2500 for more information on how they are handling the Microsoft accounts. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TLH

Hi @Retired,

Welcome to the Community!

You can use these instructions to prepare your domain to transfer to another registrar. Be sure your domain has been registered for over 60 days and the registrant data has not been changed in 60 days (ICANN rules). If you have Protected Registration applied, you'll need to downgrade that in order to move the domain. Once ready, you'll need to purchase a transfer at your new, gaining registrar. 

Retired
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Did that in the beginning, but Microsoft 365 does not accept the authorization code. There is no provision in entering the code on the Microsoft 365 Admin site. Hence the question on how others may have transferred their domains from GoDaddy to Microsoft 365 business subscription.

Hi @Retired,

You'll need to contact Microsoft support for instruction on transferring a domain into accounts there. We can only provide the instruction on what must be done to prepare a GoDaddy domain for transfer to another registrar. The Registry for domains requires the use of an Authorization code (or EPP Code) for all but a few ccTLDs. 

You also don't need to move a domain in order to use it for an Office 365 account with Microsoft. You can view these instructions for how to use and verify your domain there. 

Retired
Not applicable

TLH, I already have the domain in GoDaddy configured to work with my Microsoft 365 business subscription, so the issue is not there. My objective was to move the domain management under a single pane of glass using Microsoft 365 Admin console (which I can do if I subscribe to the domain in Microsoft 365). In discussion with Microsoft 365 Admin Support, I was informed the following:

"Your [Microsoft 365] admin centre wouldn't manage the domain itself and Microsoft does not directly manage domains, domains are purchased and managed by Wild West Domains who are a GoDaddy reseller, you would have to speak with GoDaddy and see if they can help you transfer the domain over or speak with Wild West Domains and see if they can help you get the domain transferred.

https://www.wildwestdomains.com/about-us/

"

So does this mean I now need to work with WildWestDomains.com, or is it really irrelevant since it just goes back to GoDaddy overall and the current integration that I have for the domain is the best available?

Hi @Retired,

Yes, Wild West Domains is the umbrella for GoDaddy resellers. You can set up an account and transfer the domain to the GoDaddy reseller, but the management of the domain will be the same. 

Having not contracted my email through Microsoft, I'm not familiar with their process and any administrative delegate access they may be requesting. You can contact WWD support at 480-624-2500 for more information on how they are handling the Microsoft accounts. 

View solution in original post