Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, August 4th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    pembroke
    New

Home web-server

Hey,

I've bought a GoDaddy domain name and want to link it up to my home web-server. At the moment it works in my local network, but outside of this I get a message saying the server couldn't be found. This is how I went to set it up:

1. I set up an A record to the external IP address, with name '@',

2. Set up static IP address and port-forwarding (80 for HTTP),

3. I then created two host names, ns1.XXXXXXXX.com, ns2.XXXXXXXX.com,

4. Changed namerservers to custom and entered the name of the nameservers, ns1.XXXXXXXX.com and ns2.XXXXXXXX.com. 

What do I need to change for my domain to work outside of my LAN? Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
    transparent
    Employee

Most residential internet providers prevent you from running a home server in this way.

Yeah I checked out my provider (Optus) and it sounds like they block port 80. Is this the only problem you can see or was there an error in how I went about configuring it? Just want to make sure that it's just the ISP. Thanks

Camilian
    Getting Started

I hopping that you can help me actually.

1. I set up an A record to the external IP address, with name '@', <-- Where did you do this?

2. Set up static IP address and port-forwarding (80 for HTTP), <-- I did this with HTTPS and is working with my external IP address only

3. I then created two host names, ns1.XXXXXXXX.com, ns2.XXXXXXXX.com, <-- do you have steps to do this?

4. Changed namerservers to custom and entered the name of the nameservers, ns1.XXXXXXXX.com and ns2.XXXXXXXX.com.