• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper V

Visual Studio Web Deploy

If you don't use Microsoft Visual Studio then this does not apply to you. If yoju don't know what Web Deploy is, a simple explanation is that it is a more sophisticated way than FTP to upload a web site.

I have given up trying to get GoDaddy to fix their problem with Visual Studio Web Deploy. The support people insist that it is either user (me) error or a Microsoft problem, but of course they don't know what Web Deploy is. They assume it is not possible for it to be a GoDaddy problem (because then they would have to do more). With GoDaddy, I download the profile but when I import it then test the connection, the connection gets a certificate error/mismatch. It actually worked once; I deployed one web site once using Web Deploy to GoDaddy.

Web Deploy works great with Azure web sites. I click the button in Azure to download the profile then in Visual Studio I click to publish, browse to the profile to import it and it just works. Except I must go to "View" | "Other Windows" | "Web Publish Activity" and click a button there. When I use Azure, the username and password are already in the profile. When I use GoDaddy, I am not sure what user and password to use. GoDaddy support people do not want to (are unable to) just ensure I am using the correct user and password.

I am not trying to suggest anyone switch to Azure, Azure has some serious disadvantages too. I just want to get GoDaddy to get Web Deploy working for them. This is to let others know that if they have similar problems, they are not the only one.

If anyone is consistently successful with Web Deploy to a GoDaddy site then it would help others to know it is possible and to know where to go to determine what the user name is and where the password is specified. I assume that from "Websites & Domains" we go to "Web Hosting Access" for that.

11 REPLIES 11
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Visual Studio Web Deploy

Hi Sam,  

Thank you for taking the time to post this message.  I'm very sorry that you've had so much trouble getting Visual Studio Web Deploy working properly with your hosting account.  

We're looking into this for you, and as soon as we have more information we'll post an update on this thread. Thanks for your patience.  

Helper V

Thank you.

I wish there were a more appropriate way to escalate things like this.

In the past, the server side portion of web deploy was just not installed or running on their servers.  I have always used the FTP option in Visual Studio, and that has always worked at deploying the site / web app to GoDaddy.  Web Deploy is actually just a more secure way to deploy the project.  It still only copies the files that have changed since the last deployment.

Helper V

I was unable to respond immediately and then I forgot to.

Web Deploy does more than FTP. Web Deploy is intelligent whereas FTP is dumb. I don't know the details of how Web Deploy decides what to upload but it is more intelligent.

Web Deploy also does databases at the database level (not just file level).

Web Deploy also handles some of the configuration automatically.

Web Deploy also handles some of the security requirements.

All of that is not a big help for my web site; I am not (yet) using databases and my configuration and security is already set up. I intend however to expand my accomplishments.

Web Deploy is most useful for larger web sites; the more sophisticated they are, the more that Web Deploy would help. So Web Deploy is most useful for larger customers.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @SamHobbs

Thanks for your patience on this. I was able to duplicate this type of error on a test Plesk account. If you accept the unknown certificate, you should be able to verify the connection after that. If you can't please reach out to our support team once more so they can get that fixed for you. I will place a note on your account with the details of what I uncovered so there shouldn't be any further confusion. Thanks a lot for bringing this issue to our attention. Hoping you're able to get it worked out for the best.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Helper V

Thank you. At least the problem is identified and recognized.

If I understand you then you are saying that it would work to accept the certificate that it is complaining about. You are probably correct but I will go ahead and try using FTP. That should work for me. Hopefully I will be able to switch back to Web Deploy when it has been fixed.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hey @SamHobbs

I think if you accept and save the certificate, you shouldn't see the warning any more. You would use your Plesk account username and password (which is the same as the primary FTP user/pw). However, it should still connect via the deploy feature, not just FTP. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Helper V

I typed a reply and foolishly assumed it would be posted successfully but it was lost due to some error.

Helper V

I will try again.

It is my understanding that the only purpose of a certificate is security.

I prefer to do things the supported way instead of whatever works because just because it works does not mean it will always work. I don't want to take a chance on security not working.

I currently have nothing to lose in my little web site. Web sites with money and/or privacy to protect should not take a chance on security not working.

Hi,

Im also facing same error , not able to publish my website using visual studio but earlier it used to work. I called customer care agent many times but no lock to resolve the issue.

Solution

It is possible to use the command line msdeploy.exe to deploy to shared hosting server.

In the command line parameter, I could do specify -allowUntrusted flag which ignores SSL errors.

"C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy V3\msdeploy.exe" -verb:sync -sourceSmiley Tongueackage='D:\a\r1\a\MasterBuild\drop\domainname.com.zip' -dest:auto,computerName='https://domainname.com:8172/msdeploy.axd?site=domainname.com',userName='uname',password='psswrd',authType='basic',includeAcls='False' -allowUntrusted -setParam:name="IIS Web Application Name",value="domainname.com" -enableRuleSmiley Very HappyoNotDelete

Here is an article to enable deployment from VSTS to Godaddy using MsDeploy.

VSTS BUILD AND RELEASE DEFINITIONS FOR GODADDY HOSTING