• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Changing out website template

Using website builder, I created a placeholder template and published it to my domain.

Then I created a new site with updated look and feel to replace the original website. I hit publish and instead of going to mydomain, it went to some godaddy domain. Now I want to replace the mydomain website with the new one I created and I can't see any way to do that. 

Any suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I
    Solution

Re: Changing out website template

It sounds like you have 2 separate website plans?  If so the domain would need to be removed from the old plan before it can be added to the new plan.  This can be done by canceling the old plan or changing the domain it uses.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-my-websites-domain-address-24748

View solution in original post

Solution

Thank you. 

I went to my domain site (the one I wanted to replace), and had to change (republish) that to a free godaddy site which was an option on the drop down.

What was messing me up is that for the new site that I wanted to publish, my domain wasn't on the drop down.

Once I removed the site on the domain, then my domain appeared as an option on the drop down menu for the new site. A little confusing to explain but I'm all set.

Thanks for your help. 

5 REPLIES 5
    Super User I
    Solution

It sounds like you have 2 separate website plans?  If so the domain would need to be removed from the old plan before it can be added to the new plan.  This can be done by canceling the old plan or changing the domain it uses.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-my-websites-domain-address-24748

Resolver II

When you first attempt to publish your Web Builder site you are prompted to choose Your Domain or the Free GoDaddy URL. As long as you continue to publish to the free GoDaddy URL in the development phase, you will be prompted to make this choice every time you select the green Publish button.

Once you publish the site to your domain, subsequent requests to publish your site will automatically choose your domain without asking.

However, when you are in the Web Builder Edit mode you will see a "change" link near the top left corner of the screen. Selecting this change link will open the dialog box where you can select to publish to your domain or the free GoDaddy URL. If you choose the GoDaddy URL once your site is up and running, I believe your live site will go off line. You can start it up again by publishing to your domain. If this is not completely accurate, I hope one of the moderators will chime in and correct me.

Website + Marketing User since 2-Dec-2019
    Reverse Logic Limited
    Super User I

@reverselogicI believe that is correct but I have not thoroughly tested on the latest website builder platform it myself.  The key here is a domain wouldn't show up on the list if it is already associated with a different website or hosting plan.  If it allows to revert back to a *.godaddysites.com domain that would free up the domain that was being used.

Also I am not sure if we've talked, but if not welcome to the community!

Solution

Thank you. 

I went to my domain site (the one I wanted to replace), and had to change (republish) that to a free godaddy site which was an option on the drop down.

What was messing me up is that for the new site that I wanted to publish, my domain wasn't on the drop down.

Once I removed the site on the domain, then my domain appeared as an option on the drop down menu for the new site. A little confusing to explain but I'm all set.

Thanks for your help. 

Resolver II

It would be helpful if GoDaddy allowed different versions of a site to be published simultaneously at MY-DOMAIN-NAME.com as well as at MY-DOMAIN-NAME.godaddysites.com. That way you could validate changes you are making in the sandbox rather than having to test new features in the live site.

Using the Preview feature in the Web Builder app prior to publishing to the live site does not always appear the same as the website does in "real life", especially on mobile devices.

Website + Marketing User since 2-Dec-2019
    Reverse Logic Limited